F-1 and J-1 students are required to provide proof of the financial ability to afford at least one academic year of full-time study (August through the following May) in order to be issued an I-20 or DS-2019. Tuition and fees are subject to change.
2020-2021 Academic Year
Total expected cost of attendance for full-time student without dependents. Total costs includes Tuition and Fees, Living Expenses, and Other Expenses.
- Undergraduate: $39,702
- Graduate: $38,016
Tuition and Fees:
- Undergraduate (24 credit hours): $21,736
- Graduate (18 credit hours): $20,050
The figures above are estimates and are dependent upon specifics of enrollment. Some programs including LLM, JD, and PharmD are subject to different rates of tuition than those listed above. Some courses are subject to additional fees. Please refer to the Cashiers Office website for more information.
Living Expenses: $14,697
Consists of expected cost of rent, utilities, transportation, groceries, etc.
Other Expenses: $3,269
Consists of international student specific fees, mandatory health insurance, and textbooks
Additional Proof of Financial Ability Requirements for F-2 or J-2 Dependents
- Dependent of F-1 student (spouse or child): Additional $4,100 per year, per person
- Dependent Spouse of J-1 student: Additional $7,000 per year, per person
- Dependent Child of J-1 student: Additional $5,500 per year, per person
In-state and Discounted Tuition Rates for International Students
- Students holding F, J, or M visas and those on B visas participating in recreational study will not be eligible for in-state or discounted tuition rates.
- Holders of most other visa types besides F, J, M, or B will be reviewed for in-state or discounted tuition rates automatically during admission.
- Those other visa holders who are not granted in-state or discounted tuition rates during admission are encouraged to review UMKC’s residency policies and submit a petition for residency consideration if/when they believe they qualify.