We are excited that you are interested in applying to the University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC). The first step to becoming a student at UMKC is completing the application for admission and submitting documents required for admission consideration.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the move from testing companies to offer online testing, UMKC ISAO will accept the GRE and TOEFL at home test options.
- Academic Records: For admissions review, upload PDF copies of all academic records (transcripts, mark sheets, diplomas, degree certificates, etc.) to your application portal. Once you have been accepted by your academic department, arrange to have your official academic records sent directly to UMKC ISAO from your previous institution or the appropriate other entity. –Additional verification reports are required for some applicants with degrees from The People’s Republic of China. More information here.
- English Proficiency: Proof of English proficiency is require for all applicants except:
- Applicants who are citizens of a country which has English as an official language found here: Countries exempt from English Testing (PDF)
- Students who have completed Composition I and II courses with a grade of C or better at a U.S. accredited university or college.
- Students who have earned a degree or at least 24 credit hours of non-ESL coursework at an accredited university or college in the US, Canada, UK, New Zealand or Australia.
- Students who have successfully completed high school in the US at a US accredited school.
All other applicants may demonstrate proof of English proficiency by providing a qualifying score needed for their program from one of the accepted tests outlined here.
- Personal Statement: Submit a one page essay about you, your educational goals, and why UMKC is the right university for you. Anyone admitted to study in the U.S. must be prepared to tell the Border Immigration Officer why they chose to come to UMKC.
- Passport: Submit a copy of the information/photo passport page.
- Statement of Finances: Applicants requesting an I-20 or DS-2019 must demonstrate the ability to cover the total cost of attendance for one academic year. This statement should be no more than one year old. Use the Financial Statement Guidelines (PDF) to ensure your bank statement meets the requirements.
- Affidavit of Support: If a friend or family member is providing a statement of finances, they will need to submit the affidavit of support (PDF) indicating that they agree to sponsor your studies.
- Supplemental Materials: Required supplemental materials may include GRE or GMAT test scores, supplemental applications, resume or writing samples. To verify additional requirements, contact your academic department. (GRE reporting code is 6872)
- Immigration Documents: Students currently attending another U.S. institution should submit a copy of their visa, I-94 and I-20 or DS-2019.
Submitting Application Materials
The best way to submit your application materials is to log back into your UMKC Online Application and upload them directly. Application materials may also be submitted via fax to the US phone number 573/884-4894 or emailed to email@example.com. Finally, you may also send a secure email through DropBox to submit your documents. The applicant name and student ID number should be included on every page of submitted documents. Please note, soft copies of documents that are submitted via email or fax are not considered to be official documents. Official transcripts must come in a sealed envelope from your school. Official test scores must come directly from your testing center.