Tax Info

Tax reporting requirements


All international students and scholars who were present in the United States for any duration of time in the previous calendar year are required to file tax returns, regardless of whether you worked or not. The deadline to file tax returns to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is April 15 (postmarked) each year.

Sprintax video – nonresident tax filing obligations (link to YouTube)


Using Sprintax for your student tax return


Understanding the US tax system and filing a tax return is an overwhelming and confusing experience for any student. That’s why, to make things easier for you, University of Missouri-Kansas City has teamed up with Sprintax – an online tool specifically designed for international students and scholars.

Why file a tax return?

  • Stay tax compliant- Failing to file may impact the status of your current visa and make future US visa applications difficult.
  • Avoid penalties – If you miss the April 15th deadline you may face late filing penalties. Filing prior to this date prevents this, so the earlier you file, the better.
  • You may be owed a tax refund – most international students filing a tax return are due a tax refund for overpaid tax.
Get started with Sprintax


  1. Register HERE
  2. Complete the online questionnaire
  3. Enter the code [current students receive the code in an email] in the box on the “Review your order” page
    • Please note: We provide free Federal & 8843 filing but if you are obligated to file a State tax return, you will be notified in the system and you can choose to pay $35.95 to file your State tax return (similar to TurboTax)
  4. Sprintax will prepare your tax return and even check if you are due a refund. You will then need to print, sign and mail your documents to the IRS once you complete the preparation process.


  • Passport or other valid photo ID
  • US Entry and Exit Dates for current and all past visits to the US
  • All tax forms, if you received them, which may include:
    • W-2 – if you worked on-campus or for a U.S. employer than you will have one of these. The W-2 reports your annual wages and amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck.
    • 1042-S and/or 1099 – if you received a scholarship, fellowship grant, etc. you may have this form. It typically comes from the university payroll department.
  • Visa/immigration status information including DS-2019 (J-visa holders) or I-20 (for F-visa holders)
  • Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
  • If you are using Sprintax for State tax return(s) preparation only, you will need the Federal tax return you already prepared

Sprintax video – International Student US Tax Workshop (link to YouTube)

Additional questions? Need help?


Unfortunately, we are not able to directly assist you with filing your taxes. However, if you’re using Sprintax they have several ways to contact them.


Please note that there are several other tax preparation services available, below are links to other popular tax preparation websites and resources: