- Chill Out with the Women’s Center. Mon, Aug. 22, 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Women’s Center, 105 Haag Hall, 5120 Rockhill Rd. Free smoothies! Stop by for a cool drink and find out why the Women’s Center is a great place to relax, meet friends, and get involved. Also meet members of the AAUW who can get you registered to vote and let you know how you can join in championing equal rights for women everywhere! Co-sponsored by the American Association of University Women Kansas City Branch.
- LGBTQIA Ice Cream Social. Thurs, Aug. 25, 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., University Walkway, 51st and Holmes St. Stop by for some free ice cream and slushies from Kona-Ice and engage with members of the UMKC and Kansas City LGBTQIA community. Sponsored by LGBTQIA Programs and Services.
- Healing Arts Corners. September 1 – December 16, Counseling Services, 4825 Troost Ave., Suite 206; International Student Affairs Office, G-04 Atterbury Student Success Center, 5000 Holmes St.; Mindbody Connection, 112 Atterbury Student Success Center, 5000 Holmes St.; Rainbow Lounge, 325 Student Union, 5100 Cherry St. Stop by these locations to take advantage of some self-guided art activities for fun and for healing. Co-sponsored by UMKC Counseling Services, UMKC International Student Affairs Office, MindBody Connection, UMKC Student Health & Wellness, and UMKC LGBTQIA Programs & Services
- Healing Arts Exhibit: Common Threads – Anatomy of the Wound. Friday, September 2 – Saturday, October 29, Gallery Hours: Thursday – Saturday, 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Leedy-Voulkos Art Center, 2012 Baltimore, KCMO. First Fridays Openings: September 2 and October 7, 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. This community art project features artwork created by artists and members of the community who have used art to transform the emotional wounds caused by recent violence in the world. Co-sponsored by the Leedy-Voulkos Art Center and UMKC Division of Diversity & Inclusion.
- Women’s Resource Fair and Circus Show Teaser. Thurs, Sept. 22, 12:00 – 2:00 p.m., University Walkway & Playhouse, 51st and Holmes St. Visit this resource fair to learn about our programs and services, as well as other resources for women offered by various campus and community organizations. Enjoy free giveaways, prizes, refreshments and live entertainment by the all-female cast of the Great Kansas City Circus Show. Co-sponsored by the KC Juggling Club and Moon Drop Circus.
- The Great Kansas City Circus Show. Sat, Sept. 24, 7:30 p.m., Rockhurst High School Rose Theater, 9301 State Line Rd., KCMO. Cost: $15.00/Adults; $10.00/Kids 10 and Under. Celebrate women in the circus arts and enjoy this show that proudly features an all-female cast of performers from around the world! Delight in a variety of circus acts including routines using Rolla Bolla, Trapeze, Foot Juggling, Acro Balance, Clowning, Hand Balancing, Comedy and of course JUGGLING! General admission tickets available at the door. For more information, visit http://www.kcjugglingfest.com/. Sponsored by The Kansas City Juggling Club, Mood Drop Circus, and Rockhurst High School.
- Healing Arts Workshop: The Clothesline Project. Mon, Oct. 3, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., UMKC Quad, 52nd & Rockhill Rd. Stop by to create a t-shirt that expresses how violence against women has affected you and your loved ones. Co-sponsored by A Window Between Worlds
- I Can, We Can Day of Action. Mon, Oct. 10, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Miller Nichols Learning Center Lobby, 800 E 51st St. Join this socially engaged art project and help strengthen, connect, and expand the campus community united to end violence. Co-sponsored by A Window Between Worlds and UMKC Violence Prevention & Response Program
- Her Art Project and Women in STEAM Networking Reception Thurs, Oct. 13, 4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m., The Drop Bar & Bistro, 409 E. 31st St., KCMO. Join us for networking and conversations about supporting women in science, technology, engineering, the arts, and math in Kansas City. Co-sponsored by the Chancellor’s Advisory Board to the Women’s Center and the Women in STEAM Program.
- Healing Arts Workshop: Red Flags. Tues, Oct. 18, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., UMKC Quad, 52nd & Rockhill Rd. Participate in the public art display and create art that helps you recognize and overcome the red flags that impact your life. Co-sponsored by A Window Between Worlds
- “I Am Enough!” Photo Campaign. Wed, Oct. 19, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Atterbury Student Success Center, First Floor, 5000 Holmes St.; 3:00 – 5:00 p.m., Swinney Recreation Center, 2nd Floor Lobby, 5030 Holmes St. Celebrate Love Your Body Day by joining this photo campaign that asks you to reject the pursuit of body “perfection” and declare yourself “Good Enough!” Also check out the photo displays at various locations across campus. Co-sponsored by Swinney Recreation Center, UMKC Counseling Center, UMKC MindBody Connection, and UMKC Student Health & Wellness 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Atterbury Student Success Center, First Floor, 5000 Holmes St.; 3:00-5:00 p.m., Swinney Recreation Center, 2nd Floor Lobby, 5030 Holmes St.
- Healing Arts Workshops: Journey Charms. Wed, Oct. 26, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Royall Hall First Floor, 800 E. 52nd St. Join us for art-making using shrink art to express your dreams and aspirations. Co-sponsored by A Window Between Worlds
- The Trauma Behind the Mask: The “It” Girl with a Secret. Wed, Nov. 2, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m., Miller Nichols Library, Room 325, 800 E. 51st St. Join this book discussion on the novel Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll that examines the social pressures of starting your career after overcoming trauma. Lunch will be provided. RSVP to email@example.com or 816-235-1638 by October 28. Co-sponsored by UMKC Libraries and Violence Prevention & Response Program
- Wind Down Wednesday. Wed, Nov. 9, 12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m., Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, Student Union, Room 319, 5100 Cherry St. Take a mid-week break and wind down while making art. Co-sponsored by the UMKC Counseling Center, UMKC Multicultural Student Affairs, and A Window Between Worlds
- The Vagina Monologues Auditions. Fri, Nov. 11, 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.; Sat, Nov. 12, 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.; Tue, Nov. 15, 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Women’s Center, 105 Haag Hall, 5120 Rockhill Rd. All skill levels welcome – no memorization required! Performance will be held in February 2017. To reserve your audition time, contact Kacie Otto at 816-235-5560 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Co-sponsored by the UMKC Violence Prevention & Response Program
- Fundraising Shopping Party at STUFF, a benefit for the Her Art Project. Thurs, Dec. 1, 5:00- 6:30 p.m. STUFF, 316 W 63rd, KCMO. Help support a great cause and a great local business at this private shopping party. STUFF will donate 15% of the sales to the Her Art Project. Please RSVP to email@example.com or 816-235-1638. Co-sponsored by STUFF.
- Shrink Your Stress. Tues, Dec. 6, 12:00 – 2:00 p.m., Miller Nichols Learning Center Lobby, First Floor, 5100 Cherry St. Join us for art-making using shrink art, paint, and other media to de-stress as you prepare for finals.
- Camp Out at the Women’s Center! Thurs, Dec. 8, 12:00 – 2:00 p.m., Women’s Center, 105 Haag Hall, 5120 Rockhill Rd. Take a break from studying and join us for s’mores and hot chocolate while we play campfire games.