Thea says Goodbye

Today is my last day at the UMKC Women’s Center, as tomorrow, I will be walking across the stage in my cap and gown. The last four years at UMKC have truly taught me the meaning of a bittersweet goodbye. I couldn’t be more excited for the future, yet saying goodbye to this campus is one of the hardest things I’ve had to do.

The Women’s Center has played an integral role in my development here at UMKC. Working here has shown me how much I can learn being surrounded by smart and dedicated women. I’ve been able to learn by the examples of my superiors and my peers. Just being here exposed me to new feminist literature, new ideas, and new ways of imposing gender equity in the world around me. I plan to use feminism as a tool for success in the future. I’ve learned to use my voice, to lean in, and to never underestimate my worth. I’ve learned not to scale back my goals to make other people comfortable. I’ve learned making other people uncomfortable is necessary for change.

To anyone who is considering working or volunteering for the Women’s Center, do it. You’ll learn more than you think you could, even if you already believe you’re an expert. You’ll make friends. You’ll have fun. You’ll make a difference.

If you attend UMKC and receive federal work-study, apply here through the Roo Career Network.

If you would like to volunteer, apply here.