This is What a Feminist Looks Like

• by
Source: Google Images Through Creative Commons

By Matiara Huff

We all became feminists to fight for gender equality, and to stop this worldwide, irrational female hatred.  But

I am the second oldest of my siblings, but the oldest of the girls. I have always been told that I have to set the example for them. But some members of my family think women should love being in the kitchen, and live their lives as if marriage is the ultimate goal. So when I said that I don’t like cooking, and I plan on never getting married, a lot of people deemed me a bad influence on my sisters. That was when I became a “Closet” feminist. Secretly, I began giving Malaun, Madisyn, Morgan, Marsyiah, and Mackenzie feminist opinions. I loved it, and they became more confident from it.

Unfortunately, the day that I openly started calling myself a Feminist wasn’t a happy day. It was when one of my sisters was assaulted. She was 8 years old when it happened, and the first person she told didn’t believe her. But two things that I have always drilled into every one of my siblings heads is don’t ever lie about assault, but if it happens don’t ever be silent about it. So when she called and told my mom, though we didn’t want to believe it, we knew it was true. I have always been protective of my siblings, but after that incident I don’t think I will ever trust them with many people.

I will never forget that day, and I probably will never forgive myself for not being there to change the situation for her. Because rape culture is the norm in our society, I will never stop trying to create change. Because the first person my sister told the story to said she had it coming, I have no choice but to at least try to change people’s opinions before it is too late for our society. I am proudly, openly, and loudly a feminist.