“I Will What I Want”

I Will What I Want-Under ArmourBy Kemora Williams

Have you ever thought about how women are portrayed in the media? Did it ever cross your mind that men are always seen as strong and it is necessary for women to be sexy? What ever happened to celebrating who you are? About 40% of the world’s population is made of women but only 2% is covered in the media.

Under Armour has taken the initiative to positively display women using their new campaign titled “I Will What I Want”. Gisele Bundchen (model), Misty Copeland (ballerina), Lindsey Vonn (World Champion downhill skier), Sloane Stephens (pro tennis player), Kelley O’hara (pro soccer player), and Brianna Cope (pro surfer) are the new faces of Under Armour.

They are not portraying these women as sexy but they are portraying them as the athletes they are. Under Armour has given all six women their own commercial telling their story and not promoting their image but their talents. Not many women athletes are shown in the media wearing their uniforms, but these women have nothing but photos in their gear or performing their sport. I encourage you to take a look at this campaign. Learn more about these women and their stories about how they became the athletes that they are. These women serve as great role models to a new generation and kudos to Under Armour for portraying them in this way!