Sororities: Is it really just about partying?

“Party girls. Dummies. Easy.” These are just a few of the titles that women in sororities are frequently labeled. This past weekend I went to see, “Sorority Row” and although the movie was entertaining, I could not help but be offended by the way sororities were represented. As a member of a sorority, I take pride in knowing all that sororities do and how they truly empower women to grow and be strong. All sororities have principles that their members live up to. Some of these principles include maintaining a certain GPA, conducting themselves as ladies at all times, and participating in various community service projects. Sororities also help young women become responsible leaders with open minds. There is a tremendous amount of work that is done in sororities, from planning events for students to doing projects in the community. Once you cross into Greek life, you instantly become aware of what it means to be involved, give back, and most importantly, conduct yourself as a positive female leader. Yes, being Greek is fun – the parties, the networking, the friends – however, there is much more to it than the glistening that partygoers see.
I am interested in seeing what others think about this subject, and possible solutions to change the negative image of sororities.
Thank you.

3 thoughts on “Sororities: Is it really just about partying?”

1. First off, I'm pleased to hear that your sorority experience has been a positive one, and, from your description, it sounds like that it has been an opportunity which has helped you grow as a person. I agree much of the negative stereotyping of those that take part in "Greek" life is reinforced by the images and stories we receive from the media; and, as one who is generally very skeptical of the intent of such organizations, I have been very impressed with the level of positive output by Greek organizations here on the UMKC campus. However, and on the whole, I can't say that my experiences here at UMKC is not exemplary of those I've had on other campuses. Although I have always come across those organizations which seek to have a positive impact on their communities, I have also come face-to-face with the stereotypes more times than I care to count. I would like to think it was just one of those situations where I could just chalk it up to a few isolated incidents, but I can't. I think part of what really affects the broader opinion of Greek life is that those who don't participate often don't understand that not all such organizations have the same agenda and that each chapter might be run differently from campus to campus. Also, lets face it, what is more likely to make into the headlines: sororities helping disadvantaged children in their community, OR a story about a death from binge drinking? I think a good question to ask here is: What are Greek organizations doing to help improve their public image and combat stereotyping?

2. Hi Sara I appreicate hearing your opinion on this and hearing about all the good that Sororities do, but you can not help but admit that Sororities are represented in a much more negative light than a postive. I mean in other movies besides"Sorority Row"these girls depicted as nothing more as sluts. whore and party girls who just go to college to party. How do you think that the image of Sorority life can be changed because the popular culture is not seeing all the postive that Greek/Sorority women have to offer?

3. When I was in high school, I used to think about college life and the first thing I would imagine are all the frat parties with sorority girls acting stupid. So when I got to college, I didn't join a sorority. I think that's calld GDI. Anyway, now looking back, I think I should have. I grew up with two brothers and didn't have any sisters. I think being in a sorority would have given me some of that sisterhood that I missed growing up. Now, as an adult, I don't have very many female friends because I'm more comfortable with guys. I think living in a sorority house would have helped me overcome that. Also, I do see a lot of community service coming from our sororities. Doing good deeds is always best shared as a group. And doing things as a group is also more motivating. Finally, joining a sorority in college is a great networking tool and can help build connections that students will need as they graduate and become job seekers. It's not so much nepotism as it is knowing the standards of excellence and leadership that are required of certain sororities. So having a sorority affiliation can speak on one's character. So, yes, the media and entertainment industry can portray sororities negatively, but that's only half the story.