The Home-Stay Program, operated jointly by UMKC and Penn Valley Community College and coordinated by Frances E. Golden, has been successfully placing International students in private homes for 10 years. Currently, they have hosts to accommodate 10 – 15 students per semester; but they are expecting an influx of students January through May 2009, and are seeking additional host volunteers for winter semester 2009.
Generally, these students have no independent means of transportation, so getting to and from campus for classes, shopping, doing laundry, etc. are activities that must be negotiated between the student and the host.
Some decisions you will need to make are:
- male student vs female student
- cook meals for student vs student cooks own meals (you provide equipped kitchen, storage for the student’s perishable food and ensure student can get to a grocery store)
- provide laundry facilities vs take student to public laundry facility
- non-smoking vs smoking outside only vs smoking anywhere (in car smoking?)
- walking distance to campus vs negotiate transportation to/from classes
If you are interested, call Fran Golden at 816-759-4230, or email her at email@example.com . Be sure to tell her you are an UMKCRA member. She believes UMKCRA may be a perfect match as she expands the Home-Stay program. And supporting the HOME-Stay Program is another way UMKCRA can show its support for UMKC.
Be a Volunteer
The sponsors of each of the events listed below have invited retirees to help. The date, time and location of the event, together with a description of the duties of a volunteer are given under the Ad Hocc and Ongoing tabs above to help you choose. Volunteering is a fun way to stay connected while helping others, and it also is recognized by our Chancellor as valuable additional support for UMKC. So, please volunteer your time and energy generously.