Minutes: UMKC Retirees Association Meeting / December 3, 2009
The December UMKCRA meeting was held in conjunction with the annual Christmas luncheon in Pierson Auditorium in the University Center. Approximately 75 people were present. Following the lunch, President Nancy Mills opened the meeting and welcomed a special guest, the new dean of the School of Education, Dr. Wanda Blanchett. President Mills then clarified Associate Member status, confirmed that spouses of retirees are covered under regular member status, and made the following announcements.
- Effective this year, UMKCRA elections are changed from the April to the December Association Meetings. President Mills agreed to stay on an additional year to facilitate the transition to the new term period.
- The Chancellor recently agreed to provide approximately $3,400 annual financial support in support of UMKCRA activities.
- Election: The Nominations Committee presented the following slate of candidates for the various positions. The slate was approved by the Board at its November 5, 2009 meeting and presented to the Association for action:
- Vice President/President Elect: Marvin Querry
- Treasurer: Ted Sheldon
- Board Members (three year term): Denny Schemmel, Reaner Shannon, Sandy Van Engelenhoven
- Board Members (one year term): Marty Hatten (to fill Jack Heysinger’s vacant position); Ronald MacQuarrie (to fill Ted Sheldon’s vacant position)
The motion passed without opposition.
Before introducing the speaker, President Mills thanked the Advancement staff, the catering staff, the program committee chair Edie Hunter, Dick Hetherington and the nominations committee for their good work.
The guest speaker, Murray Blackwelder, President of the UMKC Foundation, who has been here for five months, discussed initiatives set up with the Foundation and Capital Campaign which include the following priorities:
- Student support
- Faculty support
- Program support
- Facilities support
All plans are tied to UMKC’s Strategic Plan and they are working with the deans and others for the next 12-15 months in planning for the Capital Campaign.
On motion (Duana Dralus / Fred Karn): The meeting was adjourned at 1:05 p.m.
Patricia Hovis-French, Secretary