Healthy for Life is offering “Flow” Yoga 12:10 – 12:50 p.m., Tuesday, March 12 – April 30 at the UMKC Performing Arts Center in the McIlrath Lounge. The cost for the eight-week session is $24 or $5 for a drop-in. A minimum of eight students are needed in order to hold the classes.
Classes are open to UMKC faculty and staff. Adult family members are welcome.
About Flow Yoga
“Flow” Yoga is a more generic term describing the styles of Hatha and Vinyasa. Poses are linked together with the breath to create a natural rhythm and connection to the body and mind. In this series, we will follow Hatha Flow, which has students holding each pose for 3-5 breaths to encourage muscle and mind relaxation. Accommodations are made for each individual, and classes are adjusted to meet all levels, from novice to the seasoned yogi.
Ayers has been practicing yoga for eight years and teaching for the past four. Her study is primarily in Vinyasa and Hatha, and she also has experience in Iyengar and Kundalini.
- Limited space. Contact Ayers at 816-206-7290 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Checks are payable to Amanda Ayers.
- Bring a yoga mat and a thick blanket, if possible. Comfortable street clothes are welcome.
- McIlrath Lounge is to your right as you enter the PAC front doors and up a flight of stairs, overlooking the lobby area from the fourth floor.
Tai Chi Now Enrolling
When: Through Apr. 30, 2013
Time: 5-5:45 p.m.
Location: Volker Campus, Administrative Center
- Plaza Room – 4/9, 4/23, and 4/30, 2013
- Gillham Park Room – 4/2 and 4/16, 2013
- Cost: 6-week session for $30
About Tai Chi for Health
Tai Chi for Health helps improve flexibility and muscle strength, increase heart/lung activity, align posture, improve balance, and integrate the mind and body. The program is shown by scientific study to be effective in improving pain, quality of life, and balance. Almost anyone with arthritis or any physical condition can learn this program to improve health and quality of life. It is an easy, safe, effective exercise and supported by the Arthritis Foundation of America.
About Dr. Nina Chen
Dr. Chen is a human development specialist with University of Missouri Extension. She is a certified Tai Chi for Arthritis instructor. She teaches Tai Chi for Arthritis, Seated Tai Chi for Arthritis, bi-lingual Tai Chi for Arthritis, Tai Chi for Osteoporosis, and Tai Chi for Health in the Kansas City area. She has practiced Tai Chi for about 10 years and enjoys helping people improve their health.
- Space is limited. Pre-registration is required one week before the class.
- Make checks payable to: University of Missouri Extension
- Mail to: University of Missouri Extension, 1106 W. Main Street, Blue Springs, MO 64015 Attn: Tai Chi Class
- Loose, comfortable clothes and flat shoes are appropriate; no need for exercise mat
- For more information, contact Dr. Nina Chen at 816-252-5051.