UMatters

Faculty and Staff News | University of Missouri – Kansas City

UMatters header image 2

Introducing UMKC’s Faculty Ombuds Services

February 15th, 2011 · No Comments · News

[The following was submitted by Nancy Day, UMKC Ombudsperson.]

Hello! I would like to introduce myself and UMKC’s faculty ombuds services. My primary responsibility is to assist faculty members with issues of concern you’re not sure how to handle. Perhaps you’ve not been able to resolve a dispute with a colleague, or your supervisor seems to be acting unfairly. An ombudsperson may be able to help you decide the best course of action in situations such as these.

The faculty ombudsperson position was created jointly by the Faculty Senate and the Provost’s Office in 2010. Its mission is to contribute to a fair, equitable, and respectful work environment by providing independent, neutral, confidential and informal consultation to faculty who visit the Ombudsperson. Services are available to all UMKC faculty.

As a member of the International Ombudsman Association, I strive to impartially promote values of fairness, equity, equality of opportunity and mutual respect in our workplace. An ombudsperson advocates not for an individual, but for a respectful and fair workplace. I adhere to the International Ombudsman Association Code of Ethics).

How do you know when to make an appointment? Here are some examples:

• You need an impartial and confidential sounding board.
  • You think you have been treated unfairly.
  • You want to report a problem but you want to get a sense of possible outcomes first.
  • You think a University policy or practice is unfair or problematic.
  • You are not sure where else to turn for help.

In addition to my quarter-time ombudsperson position, I am Associate Professor of Human Resources and Organizational Behavior at the Bloch School of Management. I’ve served as department chair, director of the executive MBA program, and interim associate dean.

For more information, please consult the Ombuds website. To make an appointment, please call me at one of the numbers below.

Dr. Nancy E. Day, UMKC Faculty Ombudsperson

Room 20A, 4747 Troost (Ground Floor)

UMKC Phone: 816-235-1400

Ombud’s Cell (private): 816-830-1721

Email: facultyombuds@umkc.edu   

Due to the limits of technology, confidentiality cannot be ensured in email or digitized voicemail communication. Thus, you are advised against sending sensitive information via emails or voicemail messages.

Tags:

No Comments so far ↓

Like gas stations in rural Texas after 10 pm, comments are closed.