UMKC’s commitment to sustainability is visible across the entire campus. The new Student Union and Herman and Dorothy Johnson Residence Hall are state-of-the-art green buildings. Sustainable gardening is encouraged at three rain gardens and a student-led community garden, and the Student Union and Miller Nichols Library (MNL) have rooftop gardens. The Hub bicycle repair center helps keep students mobile. Students and the community can stay informed through the Recycling-on-the-Go educational kiosk, and can use the solar recycling center east of the MNL. We even reused timbers from the old bleachers at Swinney Recreation Center.
Use the Green Features Map tour of all UMKC’s green initiatives the next time you are on campus and see for yourself!
Through leadership, collaboration and action, the university will continue to achieve its sustainability goals.
- to work towards Zero Waste Goal by 2015 by reducing, reusing and recycling.
- to Reduce Energy Usage on Campus and explore renewables.
- to Communicate about Campus and Community Events
- to Look for Funding Opportunities
- to Educate and Communicate to create awareness surrounding sustainability initiatives on campus.
- to expand alternative transportation through planning.
2010-2013 Awards and Honors:
UMKC has become a leader in our urban community and in the Midwest region because of advancing its Sustainability Initiatives and the hard work of the UMKC Sustainability Team. Here’s a list of honors and awards:
- STARS Silver Rating 2014
- Recyclemania Grand Champion Award 2013
- Missouri Recycling Association Outstanding Program Award 2013
- Mid-America Regional Council Sustainable Success Stories for 2011, 2012, and 2013
- Top 100 Cool School by Sierra Club 2010-2013
- STARS Silver Rating 2012
- American School and University Magazine Green Cleaning Award 2011 Honorable Mention
- Mid-America Regional Council 2011 Top Sustainable Success Stories Honoree
- Greenability Magazine Sept/Oct 2011 Issue-UMKC lead article on “Local Colleges Prepare Students for a Greener Future”
- Bicycle Friendly University Honorable Mention 2011
- Mid-America Regional Council Solid Waste Management District 2010 Outstanding Program Award
- Bridging The Gap Environmental Excellence Award 2006 Recycling Program