Summer time is always a busy time at SCE. Over the past several years our labs and classrooms have been filled with students coming to UMKC SCE to attend various summer programs for elementary, middle and high school students and 7-12 teachers. This summer 2013 we are proud to host six summer camps during June and July.
- Learn Science & Math Club’s Math Blast Camp will be held at SCE in early June, kicking off our summer program schedule. Using a completely interactive approach to math, the camp invites 8-12 year old students to get their “math on” through hands-on projects and group games.
- ASM Materials Camp for Teachers from June 10–14, 2013 was first held at SCE in 2008 and 2013 marks its 6th anniversary here at UMKC SCE. This camp helps 7-12 grade teachers make science more relevant to their students by showing them how to use applied engineering techniques in the classroom.
- Tell the Story, a June 17–21 summer camp funded by Google, will provide 24 high school students a week-long, morning only camp. SCE faculty Dr. Cory Beard will teach the Logic Building session and Dr. Yugi Lee will teach the Programming session. Dr. Liz Tascio, UMKC Department of English, and Dr. Alexis Petri, UMKC Institute for Human Development, will teach the Story Writing session. Students will learn Scratch, an online tool that will allow coders to make a virtual story.
- Get Into Energy, the 3rd annual KCP&L Energy Camp, hosted at SCE since its inception in 2011 and sponsored by KCP&L and KC STEM Alliance, will be held June 25–June 27. The mission of the camp is to get middle school students from Kansas City, Missouri School Districts excited about math and science to build awareness of how these subjects are used in utility careers.
- App Camps, two one-week camps at UMKC SCE, are funded by Google Fiber in partnership with the KC STEM Alliance, KC Power Source and SCE’s Student Affairs Office. The camps’ mission is to encourage students to learn about computer science concepts and careers by teaching students how to develop applications for Android platform phones using hands-on learning instruction. SCE’s Whitney Molloy and Valeri Reynolds are the camp coordinators. The camps, held July 15-19 and July 22-26, are open to students entering 10th, 11th, 12th grades and attending Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas school districts.
With the talent and energy these summer programs will be bringing to SCE, we know it’s going to be a fun summer!
Photos shown are from the Get Into Energy Camp 2012.