The P&T Calendars provide the general framework for the Promotion and Tenure (P&T) process. All dates are guidelines for keeping the year-long evaluation process on schedule, with the exception of the firm deadlines of portfolio submission by the candidate to their Dean’s office (May 1) and submission of portfolios to the Provost Office for campus level review (1st Friday in January). Academic Units are free to have a more accelerated schedule, especially where the process includes an additional level of review within the academic unit. Candidates should be informed of the recommendation (whether positive or negative) at each stage of the process and given a reasonable time to respond. This Calendar allows 14 days for responses, but that is a guideline, not a requirement.
- 2015-16 Review Cycle: Year “A” = 2014; Year “B” = 2015; Year “C” = 2016
- 2016-17 Review Cycle: Year “A” = 2015; Year “B” = 2016; Year “C” = 2017
- 2017-18 Review Cycle: Year “A” = 2016; Year “B” = 2017; Year “C” = 2018
- 2018-19 Review Cycle: Year “A” = 2017; Year “B” = 2018; Year “C” = 2019
- 2019-20 Review Cycle: Year “A” = 2018; Year “B” = 2019; Year “C” = 2020
P&T CALENDAR REVIEW CYCLE
Year “A” indicates the calendar year prior to required portfolio submission date (May of following calendar year). Year “B” indicates the year the portfolio is submitted (May) and the initial review begins at the external evaluator level (June). Year “C” indicates the year the portfolio is reviewed at the campus level (January through May) and the Chancellor renders the final decision (by July 31).
FALL SEMESTER, Year “A”
P&T Info Sessions for Year “B-C” review cycle candidates <two Sessions on Volker Campus, plus one on Hospital Hill Campus to include Polycom broadcast to UMKC Pharmacy faculty stationed on the Columbia campus>. See P&T Info Session website for dates, times and locations.
One-on-one Portfolio Preparation training sessions available; contact Beci Edmundson at email@example.com.
SEPTEMBER 1, Year “A”
Notification to Mandatory Candidates, Call for Promotion to Professor: Deans are to promptly notify faculty members under mandatory review for the Year “B-C” review cycle and provide appropriate materials. Deans should also notify faculty members that anyone who would like to be considered for promotion to full professor must declare their intention to apply.
Portfolio Preparation Begins: Candidates seeking promotion &/or tenure in the Year “B-C” review cycle prepares the P&T Part I Form and begins compiling all required materials into the electronic P&T Portfolio for delivery to the Dean’s Office Promotion & Tenure (P&T) Coordinator in May. Electronic portfolios are limited to a “portable” size and must utilize the appropriate university-approved template. Large electronic files/materials can be stored in MoSpace, UM System’s permanent central document repository (MoSpace submission deadline: March 31).
External Evaluator List Preparation Begins: The External Evaluator List must include a balanced list of potential external evaluators from both the candidate and the Dean or Chair, sufficient to provide 4-6 confidential external evaluation recommendation letters for inclusion in the portfolio. The list must contain each external evaluator’s rank/title, university, and complete contact information. Prior to submission, the candidate must review the completed list, disclose any relationships to each external evaluators (including those selected by the Dean/Chair), and sign the list to indicate candidate’s review. The final list of Provost-approved potential external evaluators shall be added to the portfolio in the confidential External Evaluations folder following review of the portfolio by the external evaluators. Please note:
• Evaluators must not be friends, mentors, classmates, co-authors, co-investigators, members of candidate’s doctoral committee, former colleagues or former professors.
• Evaluators should not be from an institution from where the individual undergoing review a) received a degree, b) served on the faculty, or c) has a close personal association.
Each academic unit will determine their own schedule for the internal submission, review and candidate authorization of the External Evaluator List, and will be responsible for ensuring the completed, authorized External Evaluator List is sent to the Provost for review and approval prior to the March 15 deadline.
OCTOBER 1, Year “A”
- Deans notify Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs of 1) Mandatory Review candidates and 2) Candidates for promotion to full professor for 2013-14 review cycle.
MARCH 1, Year “B”
- Deadline for Year “B-C” review cycle candidates to submit electronic portfolio materials for storage on MoSpace.
MARCH 15, Year “B”
- Deadline for Deans to submit the External Evaluator List to the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs to begin the review and approval process.
MARCH 16 – APRIL 30, Year “B”
- Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs works with units to review and approve individual candidate’s External Evaluator lists. Units should begin contacting External Evaluators to determine availability upon approval. Additions to the list may be required from candidate and/or unit throughout the process to ensure a balanced (equitable number of evaluations from candidate- and unit-proposed evaluators) return of 4-6 external evaluation letters. Any changes or additions to the list must be submitted for review and approval by the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs.
MAY 1, Year “B”
- Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs returns approved External Evaluator lists to units. Deans continue to contact approved external evaluators to confirm availability. Deans submit external evaluator lists (noting which evaluators confirmed availability to review and the reasons the other evaluators declined) to the P&T Coordinator to prepare for electronic portfolio delivery to external evaluators in early June.
MAY 1, Year “B”
- Portfolio Submission for Year “B-C” Review Cycle: Candidates to provide the completed electronic portfolio (including P&T Part 1 Form and all other required materials) to their unit’s designated P&T Coordinator to begin the review process.
May 1-15, Year “B”
- P&T Coordinators and/or P&T Committees review portfolios to ensure all required materials are included in the proper folders. Following any necessary changes, P&T Coordinator obtains candidate’s final approval to send completed portfolio for review.
May 15 – June 1, Year “B”
- Dean’s Office sends completed portfolios to approved list of External Evaluators for review; External Evaluators are instructed to return signed, confidential recommendation letters (on letterhead) to Dean’s Office for inclusion in portfolios prior to August 15.
AUGUST 1, Year “B”
- Dean provides opportunity to all qualified tenured faculty members (who have not otherwise had a voice in the P&T process) to submit written, signed comments to the Promotion and Tenure Committee regarding each candidate being considered for promotion and/or tenure in the upcoming review cycle. Comments must be provided to Department/Unit P&T Committee prior to the Committee’s recommendation. (See Chancellor’s Memo #35 Section I.C.)
AUGUST 15, Year “B”
- Dean provides Dept/Unit P&T Committee with written, signed faculty comments regarding candidates under consideration for promotion and/or tenure prior to the Committee’s recommendation. (See Chancellor’s Memo #35 Section I.C.)
- Faculty Comments are considered in Committee discussion only and remain confidential; they are not placed in the portfolio nor distributed beyond the committee.
AUGUST 26, Year “B”
- The Deans’ office will add the external evaluators’ letters to the candidates’ portfolios and forward them for consideration to the first level of the internal unit review.
Units requiring four levels of internal review (Department Committee, Chair, Unit Committee, and Dean) must conduct the initial level of review in early September to adjust the following schedule to accomodate one additional level of review; the Dean’s schedule of review cannot be extended as the completed portfolio is due at the Campus Level the first Friday in January.
OCTOBER 3, Year “B”
- First Level of Internal Unit Review provides the P&T Coordinator with written recommendation (positive or negative, signed ) addressed to the next level of review; a copy of the written recommendation will be distributed to the Candidate for review and optional rebuttal.
- If the first level of review is a Committee, all members must sign the letter; if the first level of review is a Chair, a completed Part II Form must accompany the recommendation.
OCTOBER 14, Year “B”
- Candidates choosing to do so may provide the P&T Coordinator with a written rebuttal to the Recommendation. Both the written Recommendation and the writtne Rebuttal (if any) are placed into the portfolio and forwarded to the the next level of internal unit review.
OCTOBER 28, Year “B”
- Second Internal Unit Review provides the P&T Coordinator with written recommendation (positive or negative, signed ) addressed to the next level of review; a copy of the written recommendation will be distributed to the Candidate for review and optional rebuttal.
- If the second level of review is a Committee, all members must sign the letter; if the first level of review is a Chair, a completed Part II Form must accompany the recommendation.
NOVEMBER 11, Year “B”
- Candidates choosing to do so may provide the P&T Coordinator with a written rebuttal to the Recommendation. Both the written Recommendation and the written Rebuttal (if any) are placed into the portfolio and forwarded to the final level (Dean) of internal unit review.
DECEMBER 2, Year “B”
- Dean provides the P&T Coordinator with written recommendation (positive or negative, signed ) addressed to the next level of review; a copy of the written recommendation will be distributed to the Candidate for review and optional rebuttal.
DECEMBER 16, Year “B”
- Candidates choosing to do so may provide the P&T Coordinator with a written rebuttal to the Dean’s Recommendation. Both the written Dean’s Recommendation and the written Rebuttal (if any) are placed into the portfolio and forwarded to the Provost Office to begin the Campus level of review.
First Friday in January, Year “C”
- P&T Portfolios for Year “B-C”review cycle candidates due to Provost Office to begin campus-level reviews.
APRIL 2, Year “C”
- Campus P&T Advisory Committee conveys final recommendations to Provost.
APRIL 20, Year “C”
- Provost makes recommendations to the Chancellor.
MAY 11, Year “C”
- Final decisions made by the Chancellor. Chancellor notifies Year “B-C” review cycle candidates of final decision via certified letter and email (copy to Dean, Chair, P&T Coordinator, and Human Resource Facilitator).
JULY 31, Year “C”
- Deadline for Chancellors to send official notification of final decision to Year “B-C” review cycle candidates.
Please direct Calendar questions to Beci Edmundson, Faculty Affairs Specialist (UMKC Provost Office/Faculty Affairs (816) 235- 2721 firstname.lastname@example.org)