The P&T Calendars provide the general framework for the Promotion and Tenure (P&T) process. All dates are firm with the exception of the internal unit review schedule, which provides general parameters. Additional time may be granted by the Vice Provost of Faculty Affairs if necessary. Academic Units are free to have a more accelerated schedule, especially where the process includes an additional level of review within the academic unit. Candidates should be informed of the recommendation (whether positive or negative) at each stage of the process and given a reasonable time to respond. This Calendar allows 14 days for responses, but that is a guideline, not a requirement.
Effective Fall Semester 2011, all P&T portfolios must be electronic, utilizing a university-approved template created with Adobe Pro Software (version 10.0 or higher) available for purchase (approx. $61) or free via UMKC Remote Labs; hard-copy portfolios will no longer be accepted for promotion and tenure review.
- P&T Calendar 2012-13
- 2012-13 Review Cycle: Year “A” = 2011; Year “B” = 2012; Year “C” = 2013
- 2013-14 Review Cycle: Year “A” = 2012; Year “B” = 2013; Year “C” = 2014
- 2014-15 Review Cycle: Year “A” = 2013; Year “B” = 2014; Year “C” = 2015
- 2015-16 Review Cycle: Year “A” = 2014; Year “B” = 2015; Year “C” = 2016
P&T CALENDAR REVIEW CYCLE
Year “A” indicates the calendar year prior to required portfolio submission date (May of following calendar year). Year “B” indicates the year the portfolio is submitted (May) and the initial review begins at the external evaluator level (June). Year “C” indicates the year the portfolio is reviewed at the campus level (January through May) and the Chancellor renders the final decision (by July 31).
FALL SEMESTER, Year “A”
P&T Info Sessions for Year “B-C” review cycle candidates <two Sessions on Volker Campus, plus one on Hospital Hill Campus to include Polycom broadcast to UMKC Pharmacy faculty stationed on the Columbia campus>. See P&T Info Session website for dates, times and locations.
SEPTEMBER 1, Year “A”
Notification to Mandatory Candidates, Call for Promotion to Professor: Deans are to promptly notify faculty members under mandatory review for the Year “B-C” review cycle and provide appropriate materials. Deans should also notify faculty members that anyone who would like to be considered for promotion to full professor must declare their intention to apply.
Portfolio Preparation Begins: Candidates seeking promotion &/or tenure in the Year “B-C” review cycle prepares the P&T Part I Form and begins compiling all required materials into the electronic P&T Portfolio for delivery to the Dean’s Office Promotion & Tenure (P&T) Coordinator in May. Electronic portfolios are limited to 1GB in size and must utilize the appropriate university-approved template. Large electronic files/materials can be stored in MoSpace, UM System’s permanent central document repository (MoSpace submission deadline: March 31). Adobe Pro Software (version 10.0 or higher) is required to create electronic P&T portfolios, and may be utilized free via UMKC Remote Labs or purchased ($61) through UMKC Information Services (login required). Electronic P&T Portfolio Workshops will be offered in the Spring Semester for hands-on Adobe Pro software and portfolio training.
External Evaluator List Preparation Begins: The External Evaluator List must include a balanced list of potential external evaluators from both the candidate and the Dean or Chair, sufficient to provide 4-6 confidential external evaluation recommendation letters for inclusion in the portfolio. The list must contain each external evaluator’s rank/title, university, and complete contact information. Prior to submission, the candidate must review the completed list, disclose any relationships to each external evaluators (including those selected by the Dean/Chair), and sign the list to indicate candidate’s review. The final list of Provost-approved potential external evaluators shall be added to the portfolio in the confidential External Evaluations folder following review of the portfolio by the external evaluators. Please note:
• Evaluators must not be friends, mentors, classmates, co-authors, co-investigators, members of candidate’s doctoral committee, former colleagues or former professors.
• Evaluators should not be from an institution from where the individual undergoing review a) received a degree, b) served on the faculty, or c) has a close personal association.
Each academic unit will determine their own schedule for the internal submission, review and candidate authorization of the External Evaluator List, and will be responsible for ensuring the completed, authorized External Evaluator List is sent to the Provost for review and approval prior to the March 15 deadline. For additional information regarding the External Evaluation process, please refer to the following documents:
- Instructions for the External Evaluations and Approval Form
- Notes on the Promotion & Tenure Process
- External Evaluator Disclosure Form
OCTOBER 1, Year “A”
- Deans notify Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs of 1) Mandatory Review candidates and 2) Candidates for promotion to full professor for 2013-14 review cycle.
JANUARY 4, Year “B”
- P&T Portfolios for previous year’s (“A-B”) review cycle due to Provost Office to begin campus-level reviews.
SPRING SEMESTER Year “B”
- P&T Electronic Portfolio Workshops for Year “B-C” review cycle candidates. See P&T Workshops website for dates, times and locations. One-on-one training sessions may be scheduled by contacting Beci Edmundson at email@example.com.
MARCH 15, Year “B”
- Deadline for Deans to submit the External Evaluator List to the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs to begin the review and approval process.
MARCH 16 – APRIL 30, Year “B”
- Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs works with units to review and approve individual candidate’s External Evaluator lists. Units should begin contacting External Evaluators to determine availability upon approval. Additions to the list may be required from candidate and/or unit throughout the process to ensure a balanced (equitable number of evaluations from candidate- and unit-proposed evaluators) return of 4-6 external evaluation letters. Any changes or additions to the list must be submitted for review and approval by the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs.
MARCH 31, Year “B”
- Deadline for Year “B-C” review cycle candidates to submit electronic portfolio materials for storage on MoSpace.
MAY 1, Year “B”
- Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs returns approved External Evaluator lists to units. Deans continue to contact approved external evaluators to confirm availability. Deans submit external evaluator lists (noting which evaluators confirmed availability to review and the reasons the other evaluators declined) to the P&T Coordinator to prepare for electronic portfolio delivery to external evaluators in early June.
MAY 1, Year “B”
- Portfolio Submission for Year “B-C” Review Cycle: Candidates to provide the completed electronic portfolio (including P&T Part 1 Form and all other required materials) to their unit’s designated P&T Coordinator to begin the review process.
May 1-15, Year “B”
- P&T Coordinators and/or P&T Committees review portfolios to ensure all required materials are included in the proper folders. Following any necessary changes, P&T Coordinator obtains candidate’s final approval to send completed portfolio for review.
May 15 – June 1, Year “B”
- Dean’s Office sends completed portfolios to approved list of External Evaluators for review; External Evaluators are instructed to return signed, confidential recommendation letters (on letterhead) to Dean’s Office for inclusion in portfolios prior to August 15.
AUGUST 1, Year “B”
- Dean provides opportunity to all qualified tenured faculty members (who have not otherwise had a voice in the P&T process) to submit written, signed comments to the Promotion and Tenure Committee regarding each candidate being considered for promotion and/or tenure in the upcoming review cycle. Comments must be provided to Department/Unit P&T Committee prior to the Committee’s recommendation. (See Chancellor’s Memo #35 Section I.C.)
AUGUST 15, Year “B”
- Dean provides Dept/Unit P&T Committee with written, signed faculty comments regarding candidates under consideration for promotion and/or tenure prior to the Committee’s recommendation. (See Chancellor’s Memo #35 Section I.C.)
AUGUST 26, Year “B”
- The Deans’ office will add the external evaluators’ letters to the candidates’ portfolios and forward them forconsideration by the P&T Committee and the Department Chair.
OCTOBER 3, Year “B”
- Department or School P & T Committee provides P&T Coordinator with recommendation (positive or negative, signed by all committee members) for distribution to the Candidate and inclusion in the portfolio.
OCTOBER 14, Year “B”
- Candidates choosing to do so may provide the P&T Coordinator with a written appeal or rebuttal to the recommendation of the Departmental or School P & T Committee, for consideration by the next level of review and inclusion in the portfolio.
OCTOBER 28, Year “B”
- Department Chair/Director/Supervisor provides a completed Part II Form with recommendation (positive or negative) to the P&T Coordinator for distribution to the candidate and inclusion in the portfolio.
NOVEMBER 11, Year “B”
- Candidates choosing to do so may provide a written appeal or rebuttal to the recommendation of the Department Chair/Director/Supervisor for consideration by the next level of review and inclusion in the portfolio.
DECEMBER 2, Year “B”
- Dean provides P&T Coordinator with final recommendation letter (positive or negative) for distribution to the Candidate and inclusion in the portfolio (unless previously provided).
DECEMBER 16, Year “B”
- Candidates choosing to do so may provide the P&T Coordinator with a written appeal or rebuttal to the final recommendation of the Dean (unless they have already had such an opportunity) for consideration by the next level of review and inclusion in the portfolio.
First Friday in January, Year “C”
- P&T Portfolios for Year “B-C”review cycle candidates due to Provost Office to begin campus-level reviews.
APRIL 2, Year “C”
- Campus P&T Advisory Committee conveys final recommendations to Provost.
APRIL 20, Year “C”
- Provost makes recommendations to the Chancellor.
MAY 11, Year “C”
- Final decisions made by the Chancellor. Chancellor notifies Year “B-C” review cycle candidates of final decision via certified letter and email (copy to Dean, Chair, P&T Coordinator, and Human Resource Facilitator).
JULY 31, Year “C”
- Deadline for Chancellors to send official notification of final decision to Year “B-C” review cycle candidates.
Please direct Calendar questions to Beci Edmundson, Faculty Affairs Specialist (UMKC Provost Office/Faculty Affairs (816) 235- 2721 firstname.lastname@example.org)