PROMOTION AND TENURE PORTFOLIO
Effective Fall Semester 2011, all P&T portfolios must be electronic; hard-copy portfolios will no longer be accepted for promotion and tenure review.
The P&T Portfolio contains the documents that support your application to be promoted and/or granted tenure. Although you may provide as much information as you choose, the electronic portfolio is limited to a ‘portable’ size and must utilize the appropriate university-approved template, which will be provided by your P&T Coordinator or the office of Faculty Affairs. Large electronic files/materials can be stored in MoSpace, UM System’s permanent central document repository (MoSpace submission deadline: March 31). You may also create your own website to store large file documentation and/or media, or utilize a public media display site (such as YouTube).
Candidate is encouraged to create a P&T File on their computer containing the following P&T file folders (1-5) below in which they will place documentation to support the claims made on the PART I Form. These folders should be copied onto a flash drive and taken to the unit PT Coordinator or Faculty Affairs Specialist to be organized and placed into an electronic P&T Portfolio by their P&T Coordinator or Faculty Affairs Specialist in early April. The completed electronic P&T Portfolio should be delivered by the faculty member to their unit P&T Coordinator no later than May 1 annually.
The following folders will be populated by the Candidate prior to submission for review.
FOLDER 1: Candidate Information/P&T Criteria
- Part I Form
- Department P&T Guidelines
- Unit P&T Guidelines
- Campus P&T Guidelines (Chancellor’s Memo #35)
- UM System P&T Guidelines (CRR 320.035 Policies and Procedures for Promotion and Tenure)
- Other supporting documentation such as Offer Letter, MOU regarding specific duties/assignments, Annual Evaluations, Mid-Tenure Review, etc. may be included at the discretion of the candidate.
FOLDER 2: Teaching
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Evidence to support information provided in Part I Form Section C, including but not limited to:
- Course Descriptions
- Syllabi (Most current syllabus for each course listed on Part I Form)
- Course Development
- Sample Course Materials/Presentations/Projects
- Directed Dissertations and Theses
- Student Mentorship (List of Graduate Students mentored through Masters or Doctoral Programs, including: student name, degree program, year graduated, thesis/dissertation topic, what they’re doing now)
- Significant Graduate Student Accomplishments
- Student Evaluation Summaries & Representative Selection of Comments (by course & semester for period identified in Part I Form Section C)
- Peer Evaluations
- Document pointing to hyperlinks of electronic teaching materials stored externally in MoSpace or other secure, reviewer-accessible permanent web link.
FOLDER 3: Scholarship (Research & Creative Activities)
- Statement of Research/Scholarship/Creativity Philosophy
- Evidence to support information provided in Part I Form Section D, including but not limited to:
- Publications or Creative Works (journal articles, books, research monographs & reports)
- Citations and/or Critical Reviews of Publications or Creative Works
- Grants: Research and Development Funding, Projects, Findings
- Professional Membership (conference/meeting participation/presentations, lectures, papers, panels, clinics, office held)
- Professional Activities (editorial consultancies, hospital appointments, etc)
- Document pointing to hyperlinks of electronic scholarship materials stored externally in MoSpace or other secure, reviewer-accessible permanent web link.
FOLDER 4: Service
- Statement of Service Philosophy
- Evidence to support information provided in Part I Form Section E, including but not limited to:
- Extension Courses, Workshops, or Conferences planned, taught or participated in
- Committee Service – UM System, UMKC, Unit, Department
- Other Leadership or Service to the University
- Student Extracurricular Activity Involvement and Accomplishments
- Community Service (International, National, State, Local)
- Document pointing to hyperlinks of electronic service materials stored externally in MoSpace or other secure, reviewer-accessible permanent web link.
FOLDER 5: Additional Materials
- Evidence to support information provided in Part I Form Section F, including bu not limited to:
- Additional Professional Experience
- Additional Honors and Special Recognitions
- Evidence reflecting professional growth and effectiveness in these areas
- Unsolicited Student or Peer Kudos or Accolades
- Document pointing to hyperlinks of electronic materials not contained within the portfolio but stored in MoSpace or other secure, reviewer-accessible external server.
Hard Copy Documentation Form: Notification of any Hard Copy Documentation (book, video, DVD, CD, etc) accompanying the Portfolio. Print this completed form and attach to each hard copy item; a copy of the completed form containing all hard copy documentation must be placed in your P&T portfolio.
CANDIDATE MAY CONTINUE TO SUPPLY RELEVANT NEW DOCUMENTATION TO THE P&T COORDINATOR THROUGHOUT THE REVIEW PROCESS. Once the candidate has submitted the portfolio for review, the candidate may send new materials to the P&T Coordinator for inclusion in the “Addendums Folder” of the P&T Portfolio for consideration by the current level of review and beyond. New materials should be limited to documentation relevant to the P&T review process, such as notification of publication or sponsored awards, new honors and achievements, etc. Please do not submit updated Part I Forms or CVs when adding new materials.
DOCUMENTATION SUPPLIED BY THE CANDIDATE IN FOLDERS 1-5 ABOVE WILL NOT BE REMOVED OR REPLACED FROM THE PORTFOLIO ONCE SUBMITTED FOR REVIEW.
The following portfolio folders will be maintained by the unit’s Promotion & Tenure Coordinator; candidate does not supply documentation for these folders, but will receive copies of all documentation (except external evaluator letters of recommendation) for insertion into candidate’s copy of the portfolio after the review process begins.
FOLDER 6: External Evaluations CONFIDENTIAL
- 4-6 Evaluation Letters from External Reviewers
FOLDER 7: UMKC Recommendations
- Department P&T Committee Recommendation Letter (and Candidate’s Rebuttal letter, if applicable)
- Part II Form / Chair’s Recommendation Letter (and Candidate’s Rebuttal letter, if applicable)
- Unit P&T Committee Recommendation Letter (and Candidate’s Rebuttal letter, if applicable)
- Dean Recommendation Letter (and Candidate’s Rebuttal letter, if applicable)
FOLDER 8: Addenda
- Any additional materials or documentation supplied by Candidate after portfolio submission, throughout review process
(Must be added in chronological order, with dates received and added to portfolio identified in document Description field)