At the Provost’s Office we are excited to have Nathan join our team, and asked him to introduce himself. We believe that assessing our programs is essential for UMKC in creating outstanding academic programs and experiences for all students. We believe that Nathan can provide the leadership we need for this endeavor and welcome his expertise and guidance.
I am delighted to be starting my appointment here at UMKC. I have worked at faculty centers at the University of Michigan and Indiana University, and I am truly passionate about the improvement of learning and teaching. I view assessment as a wonderful tool to enhance students’ experience within and outside the classroom.
My role of coordinating assessment efforts at UMKC will include the following:
- Working with 137 assessment coordinators in Academic Affairs and other areas across campus
- Overseeing the HLC Assessment Academy Team
- Chairing the University Assessment Committee
- Managing the university’s web-based assessment inventory system (WEAVEonline)—documenting assessment in 121 degree programs
- Working with the FaCET leadership to provide ongoing faculty development in assessment for student learning
- Managing the Assessment Website to provide updated assessment resources
- Updating the University Assessment Plan and Assessment Handbook
- Overseeing the use of data from major field testing
- Serving as a member of General Education and Program Evaluation committees
I come to UMKC from the University of North Carolina Wilmington, where I was the Director of Student Life Assessment. I received my Ph.D in Higher Education Administration from the University of Michigan; M.S. from Indiana University; and B.A. from Brigham Young University.
I have been very impressed by all of the efforts UMKC has made to enhance and document its assessment initiatives during the last few years—the work of FaCET has been exemplary. I hope that others at UMKC will find my office to be visionary, supportive, and extremely helpful in their assessment endeavors. I look forward to working with the faculty and staff at UMKC to place student success at the center of all we do.