The first offering of ANCH 199: Biology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship produced top winners in the Regnier Institute, Henry Bloch School of Management, competition open to undergraduate and graduate UMKC students.
Three of 12 student teams in the ANCH 199 class made it to the finals. There were 41 student team entries in the competition. The finalists gave a presentation in front of a panel of judges and a large crowd. The judges’ vote accounted for 80 percent of the final score while the audience vote accounted for the remaining 20 percent. Two of the ANCH 199 teams were in the top three and received monetary awards.
American Aid: 1st place ($1,000) and the judges’ choice award ($250)
Students: Justin Atkins, Laura Wymer, Matias Hindsman, Abigail Altman
From the team’s feasibility plan:
Our product is designed to create pressure inside of a wound cavity associated with a gun-shot. The internal pressure dressing is comprised of gauze that is shrunk wrapped and gauged inside of a water-tight, water soluble wrapping. When the gauged dressing is inserted into the wound cavity, the dressing’s contact with blood quickly dissolves the outer wrapping. This allows the calculated amount of gauze inside the wrapping to expand inside the cavity; thus creating pressure.
This pressure inside of the wound cavity will stop internal bleeding of minor arteries, capillaries, and veins with the assumption that there is no exit wound. The gauze inside of the shrink wrapping is treated with local anesthetic to help administer pain relief to the patient on site. The instantly applied pressure, pain relief, and slowing or stopping of bleeding, will help to free up the first responder by having to do three less things all at once that he or she would normally be responsible for.
Care-By-Design: 3rd place ($500)
Students: Nathaniel Parkinson, Shakira Gonzalez, Ali Almuhaileej, Jade Miller, Khoi Luu
From the team’s feasibility plan:
Our initial product is called the ePump. This is a new type of Insulin Pump for type I and II diabetics. This pump is different from our competitors because it will not have a standalone monitoring device wired to it. Instead it will use wireless transmissions to send data and receive instructions to the user’s phone. They can control the pump and monitor the data via an app that they can download for their phone. This has many advantages over other devices because it uses less of its own technology to run therefore it is cheaper to make and to purchase, has less development time, it’s easier to use, and is much more comfortable for the user.
Insupatch: This group made it into the finals (top 7), though they didn’t place in the top three.
Students: Eli Ratliff, Rachel Riddell, Rachel Cutrell, Maryan Aldarweesh, Sookie Ji
From the feasibility plan the team submitted:
Introducing the Insupatch. This daily patch helps Type 1 diabetics with active lifestyles. This allows for easier movement and our vision is that this product would be very adhesive so it would stick to you through sweat or even water sports. It would allow for quick changes from everyday wear to gym clothes. Insupatch can be easily disposed of when not needed. This patch removes any unsanitary risks due to dirty needles so risk for infection as it does not break the dermal level. This patch would be very beneficial to people with needle phobia as well. This patch wouldn’t need to be kept as cool as regular vile. We would also make the gel that is already on the patch available in bottle form so if additional insulin is needed that day then it would be readily available.
–Dr. Barbara Lach, Assistant to the Dean, School of Biological Sciences