The University of Missouri – Kansas City (UMKC) recognizes the value of a diverse student body. UMKC’s Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer & Questioning (LGBTQ) Empowerment Scholarship Program understands that LGBTQ students, their perspectives, experiences and values benefit and enrich the educational experiences of all students, faculty and staff.
Like other groups, the LGBTQ community has the power to influence social, political and economic issues in the community, legislature, business and civic organizations and in our institutions of higher education. This scholarship provides support for LGBTQ students who are experiencing financial difficulty due to loss of support from family. The LGBTQ Scholarship Program believes that LGBTQ students should be supported in harnessing and commanding their own extraordinary power.
Deadline: Not applicable
The LGBTQIA (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and ally) Scholarship is designed to support students regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity and sex, who are enrolled in any degree program at UMKC, who maintain at least a cumulative 2.0 GPA and who demonstrate support of the LGBTQIA community, either on-campus or off-campus, through significant support, engagement, and/or volunteering.
Please note: In addition to the online application, students must submit an one page essay detailing their past and current support and/or involvement in the LGBTQIA community, delivered to Scofield Hall Room 302.
Deadline: March 1st
The UMKC LGBTQIA (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex, asexual, and ally) Leadership Scholarships supports all students regardless of gender or sexual diversity, who are or will be enrolled in any undergraduate degree program at UMKC. The scholarship seeks to award students who have demonstrated leadership and/or involvement toward the advancement of LGBTQIA equity and inclusion and UMKC or in their community. Eligible students will a) worked toward the advancement of LGBTQIA equity through leadership efforts, inside and/or outside of the classroom environment, b) demonstrate continued or future efforts to improve the experience of the LGBTQIA community at UMKC, c) be in good academic standing , d) be
enrolled full-time, and e) demonstrate financial need (through the FAFSA). These efforts include but are not limited to:
- Working to establish an informed and civically engaged LGBTQIA community at UMKC.
- Actions to educate the non-LGBTQIA community on the daily-lived experiences of the LGBTQIA community at UMKC or local community.
- Efforts to educate, inform, and engage the UMKC community about the intersecting identities that make up the UMKC LGBTQIA community.
If selected as a LGBTQIA Leadership Scholar, recipients will need to demonstrate continued involvement in a number of campus or community engagement opporutnities. These may include:
- Serving as a peer educator on campus LGBTQIA Speakers Bureau panels.
- Maintaining a leadership position in an LGBTQIA student organization.
- Serving as a volunteer in the Rainbow Lounge.
- Demonstrating volunteer commitments to campus or community LGBTQIA support organizations.
- Organizing LGBTQIA inclusive programs in collaboration with LGBTQIA Programs & Services.
Deadline: March 1st (returning students) | Extended to July 1st (first year students)