Student Union Room 325
Monday-Thursday: 8am-7pm | Friday: 8am-5pm
The Rainbow Lounge is a safe space for all UMKC students established by LGBTQIA Programs & Services. UMKC’s official LGBTQIA resource space, here student will find literature, recreational opportunities, and lounge space for, about, and by the UMKC LGBTQIA student community.
LGBTQIA Programs & Services Provides Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual, and Ally (LGBTQIA) students with the support, resources, and education needed to become a full member of the UMKC campus community and the communities where they live.
LGBTQIA Programs & Services was launched in July 2003 as the LGBT Initiative, a high visible break-through project of the UMKC Diversity in Action Plan (Project 6). The mission of the LGBT Initiative is to celelbrate and honor the culture, history, and accomplishments of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.
Through the Rainbow Lounge we provide:
- Educational, cultural, and social programs
- A space for relaxation, meetings, and studying
- Computers and printing available for student use or power for laptop charging
- A large selection of LGBTQIA related books, magazines, and multimedia available
- Extensive campus and community resources–including reference for counseling and self-care resources