Janaya Khan Thursday, November 3rd at 6pm Pierson Auditorium Register Here International Ambassador for the #BlackLivesMatter Network Janaya Khan, known as Future in the Black Lives Matter movement, is a Black, queer, gender-nonconforming activist, staunch Afrofuturist, social-justice educator and boxer based in Toronto. As the co-founder of Black Lives Matter Toronto, they are committed to […]
UMKC and the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures is proud to welcome DENICE FROHMAN! Denice is an award-winning poet, lyricist, and educator, whose work explores the intersections of race, gender, sexuality, and the “in-betweeness” that exists in us all. Born and raised in New York City, she is the 2013 Women of the World Poetry Slam Champion, […]
States of Grace Tuesday, April 5th at 7pm Student Union Theater Join us for a special FREE screening of States of Grace. The profound transformation of a Bay Area family lies at the heart of this story about resilience and the healing power of community and spiritual practice. For Dr. Grace Dammann, a pioneering AIDS specialist, […]
UMKC SGA Black Lives Matter Speaker Series and UMKC LGBTQIA Pride Month Presents: A Conversation with Janet Mock Monday, April 18th 6:00pm UMKC Pierson Auditorium Register Here Celebrating UMKC LGBTQIA Pride Month and the UMKC SGA Black Lives Matter Series, in collaboration with the University of Missouri-Kansas City LGBTQIA Affairs Council, UMKC Student Government […]
Join us on February 11th, Roos! The LGBTQIA Affairs Student Council hopes you will join us for the next LGBTQIA Social! Come meet your different LGBTQIA student organizations, play some games, and enjoy some FREE food! We hope to see you Thursday, February 11th at 7:00pm in the Oak Street Hall Basement.
- LGBT advocate: Kansas transgender bathroom bills unlikely to get traction this year - Topeka Capital Journal February 27, 2017Topeka Capital JournalLGBT advocate: Kansas transgender bathroom bills unlikely to get traction this yearTopeka Capital JournalDespite companion bills in Kansas House and Senate committees that would require transgender students to use the bathroom that matches their gender at birth instead of their gender identity, a lobbyist for the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and ...
- David W. Jackson: We rise as times continue to change - Kansas City Star February 27, 2017Kansas City StarDavid W. Jackson: We rise as times continue to changeKansas City StarABC will broadcast a four-part miniseries this week titled “When We Rise,” a history of the struggle for equal rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans. The eight hours of prime-time, network, LGBT-related matter, which begins Monday ...
- Transgender boy wins controversial girls state wrestling title - Kansas City Star February 26, 2017Kansas City StarTransgender boy wins controversial girls state wrestling titleKansas City StarMack Beggs had just won a state wrestling title Saturday in a category he didn't want to be in. But instead of wallowing in a debate about what should or should not have happened this weekend at the Texas state girls wrestling tournament, the […]
- Kansas basketball v. Texas - Lawrence Journal World February 26, 2017Lawrence Journal WorldKansas basketball v. TexasLawrence Journal WorldTexas guard Kerwin Roach Jr. (12) passes the ball as Kansas' Landen Lucas, left, and Josh Jackson (11) defend during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game, Saturday, Feb. 25, 2017, in Austin, Texas. Kansas won 77-67. AP Photo/Eric Gay.Kansas clinches 13th straight Big 12 title […]
- Arizona recruit to be first openly gay scholarship player - Kansas City Star February 26, 2017FanSidedArizona recruit to be first openly gay scholarship playerKansas City StarUniversity of Arizona recruit My-King Johnson is set to become the first active openly gay scholarship player in major-college football history. "I do feel like when I say that (I'm gay), it can put a target on my back. But whatever," Johnson told The ...Making […]
- Marcus: Defending the transgender rule - Quad City Times February 27, 2017Quad City TimesMarcus: Defending the transgender ruleQuad City TimesThe Trump administration's move to rescind bathroom access protections for transgender students rests on the idea that school bathroom policies are "a states' rights issue," as White House press secretary Sean Spicer has explained, and that, in any ...Why Trump's Anti-Trans 'States' Rights' Claim Will BackfireDaily BeastParents […]
- Una Mullally: Trump turns his bullying on transgender toilets - Irish Times February 27, 2017Irish TimesUna Mullally: Trump turns his bullying on transgender toiletsIrish TimesThe fact that Trump hasn't tried to scrap gay marriage and other rights the LGBT Americans have fought so hard for is because it would be strongly opposed, and there are other priorities. The first up were refugees, immigrants and ... To purposefully ...and more »
- Keep the Anger, Lose the Hate November 15, 2016Anger is a powerful tool. If nothing else, this election proved that fact. Trump ran a hateful, angry campaign, and it paid off very well for him. The impulse to spew all that hate right back into his orange, pudgy little face is alarmingly strong. Succumbing to this temptation is satisfying too. The only thing […]Sam Danley
- How KC Played a Role in LGBT History October 25, 2016The Stonewall riots, which took place in New York City during the summer of 1969, are generally considered the spark that ignited the gay liberation movement. While there’s no denying the importance of Stonewall, many people often overlook another event that also played an important role in the emergence of LGBT activism. The first ever […]Sam Danley