The roles and responsibilities of UMKC’s Information Access Division are broad and extensive. Our mission is to provide service levels that exceed our users’ expectations. Included in our tasks is responsibility for management and development of programs and projects associated with these key service areas:
- External web programming
- Portal development
- E-commerce options and information
- Online surveys/email campaigns/forums
- Programming standards to insure consistency in application development and enhancements
- User accessibility and data flow
- Assistance with implementation and training on Cognos, Peoplesoft, Darwin and Ad Astra Blue
- Learning Management Systems and associated tools
The structure of the Information Access Division includes three departments with specific functions and responsibilities:
1. Instructional Technology Services (ITS) – responsible for the Learning Management System and associated applications, including Blackboard, Wimba, WebEx, SharePoint, ListServ, Moodle, Respondus, eInstruction, LockDown Browser, ePortfolio, Tegrity (podcasting), Learning Objects (blogs and wikis) and Turnitin.com. ITS also provides a variety of Video and Audio services to the UMKC campus including Videoconferencing, ITV Classroom Facilities, DVD Duplication, VHS to DVD transfers, and audio encoding and ripping, Video Production, Studio Production, Location Video Taping, Video Archiving, Video Stream Service. Time Warner and Comcast cable channels KCEN, and KCHN, are also managed by ITS. Satellite up and down links can be delivered to any point on campus is also available.
2. Information Manipulation Services (IMS) – responsible for migration and manipulation of data from legacy systems, Finance, HR, and Student Peoplesoft, UMKC Microsoft based servers and various shared resources within the UM System between servers and multiple applications.
3. Information Presentation Services (IPS) – responsible for customized website applications (not products of canned applications or programs)