Pronto is an instant messaging (IM) and voice chat tool that allows you to communicate with others with Pronto accounts such as classmates, instructors, or groups anytime.
Pronto integrates with Blackboard to automatically add courses that you teach or are enrolled in to your Classmates list and populates your contact list each semester with the names of every student in your classes and social organizations.
To get started, you must register and download Pronto from within Blackboard! After that, you can use it from your tool bar.
Why would you want to use Pronto?
Pronto is a tool that provides secure, campus-based Instant Messaging integrated with Blackboard and if someone uses Pronto to contact you, you know it is a legitimate contact. Students are accustomed to using an instant messenger so it will be a natural way of increasing interaction between faculty and students or classmates as well as providing immediate feedback to students while they are studying. You can even hold online Office hours and answer just-in-time student questions or problems. Other uses could be to:
- Facilitate group work among students
- Give online students a feeling of connectivity to the UMKC community through study groups, community groups, etc
- Extend informal communication 24/7
- Colleague to Colleague, staff to staff contacts without waiting for email replies
Unique features that benefit students, teachers, and UMKC include:
- Auto-Population of Courses, Organizations & Rosters
- Text Chat
- Group Chat
- Presence Awareness
- VoIP Conferencing (unlimited)
- User Profiles: photo, contact information
- Customizable availability status
- Privacy Features: blocking and invisibility
- Choice of Spanish or English language
- Meets Accessibility Guidelines
For More Information and Help:
- UMKC Wimba Page at:
- Wimba: 24/7 support—866-350-4978
– E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Faculty: ITS—235-6700 M-F 7-6