Educational Outreach Intern & Camp Director Wornall/Majors House Museums
About Interning at the Wornall/Majors House Museums
Are you passionate about local history or interested in learning more about local history? Would you like to experience exciting, hands-on opportunities to bring history to life for community members?
The Wornall/Majors House Museums is a non-profit that preserves and protects two of Kansas City’s most significant antebellum landmarks – the John Wornall House Museum and the Alexander Majors House Museum. The Museums engage the Kansas City community by bringing history to life through innovative, hands-on programs and experiences. The houses, both listed on the National Register of Historic Places, feature hands-on tours, field trips, summer camps, adult education programs, and more.
Our interns will experience many facets of museum management and non-profit administration. We value our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals.
The Wornall/Majors House Museums is seeking one individual to work with our field trip and summer camp program as an unpaid intern, to transition into a paid position of Summer Camp Director. Our Educational Outreach Intern is responsible for developing new and strengthening existing relationships with local schools and community groups to bring classrooms to the Wornall and Majors Houses for spring field trips. Building on their work with educational field trips, the intern will also assist in developing our Summer Camp curriculum, registration, and marketing. A successful intern will then transition into Summer Camp Director for the summer season and is eligible for a stipend for their work with the camp program.
* Foster new and existing relationships with private and public schools to bring spring field trips to the Wornall and Majors House.
* Research and reach out to community groups, such as Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops.
* Schedule field trips, handle logistical details and recommend activities to incoming schools.
* Attend and assist with field trips, as schedule permits.
* Develop Summer Camp curriculum, including but not limited to scheduling presenters, developing new activities, familiarizing themselves with existing activities, and researching new curriculum strategies.
* Assist in the management of Summer Camp registration materials, communication with parents, and seeking out marketing opportunities.
* Serve as Summer Camp Director through the summer of 2017, managing all day-to-day operations of the Museums’ Summer Camp program, which will include at least two sessions of week-long camp, and two-four sessions of day camp.
* Manage and delegate responsibilities to one-two Camp Assistants as well as multiple Junior Volunteers (aged 12+) for the duration of camp.
* Other administrative tasks as assigned.
* Must be available through June-July for all camp-related activities: two sessions of week-long camp (M-F, 8AM-5PM) and two-four sessions of day camps (one day per session, 8AM-5PM).
* Good people skills, including comfort in speaking to a group and managing others.
* Good time management skills when creating and adhering to a schedule, with the ability to be flexible if needed.
* Must pass an NCSI background check.
* CPR/First Aid certified, or willing to obtain certification, paid for by Wornall/Majors.
* Past experience with children preferred.
* Background or interest in education, history, recreation management, or non-profit management preferred.
The position of Educational Outreach Intern begins in January/February and ends in May (start date flexible). This portion of the internship is unpaid. 5-10 hours per week.
This position will transition into Summer Camp Director for June-July, eligible for a stipend of $1200. Half of the stipend will be paid at the start of the first Summer Camp session, with the last half payable upon successful completion of the final session. Approximately 100-125 hours expected in June-July, corresponding with camp sessions.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to Leah Palmer at email@example.com