Third Grade Program Assistant
Interns will help provide an interactive museum learning experience to third graders through an educational program at the Harry S. Truman Library and Museum in Independence, Mo. This short term paid intern opportunity is available February – April, 2015.
The interns will help conduct a 3rd grade program approximately 3 hours in length. The interns will lead groups of 3rd grade students (8/9 yrs old) and move students to stations in the museum galleries and work with students to complete tasks in those areas. The interns will assist 3rd grade students in finding clues and answers within the exhibits and respond to their questions. Interns will need to keep the students on track and focused. Interns will also have to keep track of time as students will be accomplishing multiple tasks in various locations.
The interns will be paid $12.50 an hour for a minimum of 100 hours and a maximum of 125 hours during late February to mid-April 2015. The hours will be during the work week, Monday through Thursday and are approximately 9:30am – 1:30pm. The days and hours worked each week may vary.
The deadline for applications is September 30, 2014. Interviews will be conducted in October and interns notified shortly afterwards. The internship will start in mid-February, 2015.
COMMITMENT REQUIRED: A minimum commitment of two programs a week from March -April is required. Training will take place in February.
- Current enrollment in a 2 or 4-year degree program
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively
- Ability to balance multiple tasks
- Dependable and punctual
- Enjoy interacting and comfortable with third graders
- Extensive prior knowledge of the Truman Presidency is not required but a working knowledge of American history and government is helpful
- Able to accept supervision
- Ability to speak comfortably before groups of 3rd grade students
- Physically able to lead students around the museum
LOCATION OF INTERNSHIP: The Harry S. Truman Library & Museum, Independence, Missouri
Students wishing to take this internship for credit should follow the How to Apply instructions.
For further information or to request an application, please contact:
David Clark, Internship Coordinator
Harry S. Truman Library and Museum
500 West U.S. Highway 24 Independence, MO 64050
Phone: 816-268-8207 Fax: 816-268-8295 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org