General Education Oversight Committee (GEOC)
Executive sponsor(s): Provost
Purpose: The General Education Oversight Committee leads the initiative of reviewing and making recommendations for renewing the UMKC general education program.
Time frame for group (or ongoing): ongoing (standing committee)
Membership criteria: Members should be committed to creating a strong general education program for all students.
Number of members: 13
Membership type: Faculty
Membership selection (ongoing): Nominated by the deans
Leadership selection: Appointed by the executive sponsor
Role of the Chair: Convene and facilitate meetings of the committee. Chair will also ensure that nominations for new members are forwarded to the executive sponsors on an annual basis in May. Chair will meet with Strategic Plan Coordinating Committee.
Responsibilities of the members: Members should solicit input from colleagues as appropriate and be prepared to share information with colleagues as needed. Members should solicit input from their respective dean or vice chancellor early in the process and engage in an ongoing dialogue about task force activities.
- Members should expect to contribute significantly to this institutional effort through their time and expertise.
- Members will be expected to complete readings and other work outside regular committee meeting times.
- Members will be expected to communicate regularly with faculty, staff and students from their respective academic units to ensure community engagement in this process.
- Members will be expected to participate in university community discussions regarding general education.
Ex-officio members: Deputy Provost
Staffing: Self staffed
Term of appointment: Fall, 2010 through Spring, 2013
Charge to the members:
Based on the work of the General Education Advisory Task Force (2009-2010) and the UMKC AAC&U General Education Institute Team, the General Education Oversight Committee will review and recommend the UMKC general education program learning outcomes, and develop the general education program model and its assessment plan. Specifically, the charge of the committee will be to develop a general education program (including an assessment plan) for UMKC that will comply with the Higher Learning Commission expectations, will be a signature UMKC program that emphasizes student success and builds on faculty expertise and that strengthens UMKC’s degree programs and supports UMKC’s mission.
Establish a clear communication plan and implementation plan to ensure campus engagement in the process.
Work of the GEOC will include:
- Reviewing the reports on general education at UMKC from the General Education Task Force and from the AAC&U Institute Team
- Reviewing current national perspectives regarding general education experiences for undergraduate students in higher education
- Reviewing current practices in the state of Missouri regarding entrance and exit competencies and consider this work in the revision of the UMKC general education requirements
- Reviewing any additional material to assist in the development of an outstanding general education program
- Consulting with the Provost’s Office, the Office of Assessment, and unit advising offices
- Engaging with the university campus in discussions regarding the revision of UMKC’s general education program
- Placing student engagement at the forefront of general education plans
- Integrating concerns for student recruitment and retention into the general education plans.
Stakeholders: Faculty, Students, Advisors
Frequency of meetings: Initially, bi-monthly during the academic year
Reporting: Reporting via the Web and UMatters as appropriate; quarterly reports to the Strategic Plan Coordinating Committee
Renewal date: Annually in May