- Based on the work of the General Education Advisory Task Force (2009-2010) and the UMKC AAC&U General Education Institute Team, the General Education Oversight Committee will review and recommend the UMKC general education program learning outcomes, and develop the general education program model and its assessment plan. Specifically, the charge of the committee will be to develop a general education program (including an assessment plan) for UMKC that will comply with the Higher Learning Commission expectations, will be a signature UMKC program that emphasizes student success and builds on faculty expertise and that strengthens UMKC’s degree programs and supports UMKC’s mission.
- Establish a clear communication plan and implementation plan to ensure campus engagement in the process.
Work of the GEOC will include:
1) Reviewing the reports on general education at UMKC from the General Education Task Force and from the AAC&U Institute Team
2) Reviewing current national perspectives regarding general education experiences for undergraduate students in higher education
3) Reviewing current practices in the state of Missouri regarding entrance and exit competencies and consider this work in the revision of the UMKC general education requirements
4) Reviewing any additional material to assist in the development of an outstanding general education program
5) Consulting with the Provost’s Office, the Office of Assessment, and unit advising offices
6) Engaging with the university campus in discussions regarding the revision of UMKC’s general education program
7) Placing student engagement at the forefront of general education plans
8) Integrating concerns for student recruitment and retention into the general education plans.
Members will serve from Fall, 2010 through Spring, 2013.
- Members should expect to contribute significantly to this institutional effort through their time and expertise.
- Members will be expected to complete readings and other work outside regular committee meeting times.
- Members will be expected to communicate regularly with faculty, staff and students from their respective academic units to ensure community engagement in this process.
- Members will be expected to participate in university community discussions regarding general education.
- Meetings of the committee will be at least bi-monthly, initially.