Provost’s Mid-Tenure Review Policy Guidelines
Probationary faculty on the tenure-track are expected to receive a formal mid-tenure review of their performance, generally held in the 3rd year of a six-year probationary period (adjusted for shorter probationary periods).
Purposes of the Mid-tenure reviews are to:
- assess the faculty members’ progress toward tenure,
- inform the faculty members of the assessment outcome and steps to be taken to improve the prospects for tenure, and
- inform appropriate deans of the assessment outcomes.
The reviews are structured like the established procedures used for promotion and/or tenure reviews in the academic unit, except that external evaluations normally are not obtained.
Following the review, the committee will inform the dean of the academic unit of the assessment and make one of the following recommendations:
- To reappoint on a regular term appointment
- Not to reappoint (For academic year term appointments, notice shall be given no later than thirty days prior to the first day of the terminal year of appointment where the terminal year is the third, or subsequent, year of service at this University. See CRR 310.020 for additional details on non reappointments.)
MID-TENURE REVIEW POLICY BY ACADEMIC UNIT
COMPUTING & ENGINEERING
For additional information regarding the third year review process, please contact UMKC Faculty Affairs.