UM System Policy requires, per CRR 310.015 Section B.1.c.-f., that every tenured faculty member will comply with the following:
B.1.c. “At five-year intervals a tenured faculty member will resubmit the annual reports and evaluation statements for the past five years, with a concise summary statement of research, teaching, and service activities for the five-year period, and a current curriculum vita to the chair or evaluation committee of the unit. The first five-year review will be done five years after the tenure decision or the last formal review of the faculty member for promotion to associate professor/full professor. Faculty hired with tenure will be reviewed five years after they are hired.”
B.1.d. “Based on the five-year report, the chair will evaluate the faculty member’s performance as satisfactory or unsatisfactory. The five-year evaluation process will be complete with a satisfactory evaluation. If the evaluation is unsatisfactory, then the five-year report will be sent to the appropriate established committee of the department/unit, typically the one that reviews faculty for tenure and promotion. The departmental committee of faculty peers will perform its own full review of the performance of the faculty member over the five-year period and provide an independent assessment of the performance of the faculty member. The five-year evaluation process will be complete if the departmental committee judges the performance of the faculty member to be satisfactory.”
B.1.e. “In the event that both the chair and the departmental committee determine the performance of a faculty member to be unsatisfactory for the five-year period, the report will be forwarded to the appropriate dean, or on campuses with no schools or colleges, to the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs. The dean or Vice Provost for Academic Affairs will review the report and provide an assessment of the performance of the faculty member. The five-year evaluation process will be complete if the dean, or on campuses with no schools or colleges, the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs judges the performance of the faculty member to be satisfactory.”
B.1.f. “At every level of review, the faculty member will be provided with a copy of any written report that is part of these proceedings and will have the right of appeal of any evaluations, decisions, or recommendations to the next level of the process.”
UMKC POST TENURE REVIEW REPORTING PROCESS
UM System will send a complete list of UMKC Faculty due for 5-year Post Tenure Review to the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs for distribution to the Deans. Deans must verify the list with their Department Chairs and report any changes or discrepancies back to UMKC Faculty Affairs. Deans will notify all faculty and their chairs of the impending review. UMKC Faculty Affairs will forward the formal UM System 5-year Post Tenure Review Reporting forms to the Deans for distribution to the appropriate Chairs. Deans are responsible for returning the completed forms to Faculty Affairs by the posted deadline.
The guidelines for completing the formal UM System Reports are as follows:
- The basis of this report is CRR section 310.015, Procedures for Review of Faculty Performance, in the Collected Rules and Regulations
- Under this CRR section, the criteria to be used for the five-year review are those developed by the tenured faculty of each department or unit and the first five-year review occurs after the criteria have been in place for at least five years.
- For those tenured faculty members who do not qualify for the five-year review, indicate the reason they do not qualify.
- For those faculty members where the overall performance is unequivocally satisfactory, indicate by an “S” in the form. Note that an “S” indicates that the faculty member’s next formal cumulative review will be five years from this date. If there are concerns about the performance, an “S” should not be used. For those faculty members where the overall performance is unsatisfactory, indicate by a “U” in the form. This will require additional follow up by the dean and/or department chair.
- For those faculty members where there is concern about the performance, or where additional follow up review is appropriate, indicate by “*” on the form and add a note to the form indicating the concern or follow-up action.
POST TENURE REVIEW POLICIES BY ACADEMIC UNIT
ARTS & SCIENCES
- Art & Art History
- Architecture, Urban Planning and Design
- Communication Studies
- English Language & Literature
- Foreign Languages & Literatures
- Political Science
- Social Work
Computing & Engineering
For additional information regarding the post tenure review process, please contact UMKC Faculty Affairs.