Members of the Faculty may request emeritus designation upon declaration of retirement from the University. Retired Faculty who have received the title of emeritus shall continue as non-voting members of the campus Faculty and their names shall appear in the list of Officers of Instruction and Administration in the University Catalog. UMKC Emeritus Faculty shall also maintain a free email account indefinitely, and are eligible to join the UMKC Emeritus College.
UMKC Emeritus Designation Process
- Retiring Faculty candidate requests Emeritus Designation in writing to the Dean
- Dean initiates a vote of the Tenured Faculty (or appropriate ranked Librarians) to approve/deny the request
- If denied, Dean notifies Candidate of faculty decision in writing (cc: Candidate’s P&T file)
- If approved, Dean forwards a letter of request to the Provost (Attn: Becky Markley email@example.com) with candidate’s current CV; letter of request should include the appropriate Emeritus rank designation. Provost Office prepares letter of approval for Chancellor signature.
- Please note that if the candidate holds a Curators’ Professorship or Curators’ Teaching Professorship at the time of retirement, the request must be forwarded to the Board of Curators for approval of Curators’ Emeritus Status. Once approved, Chancellor sends letter of Emeritus Designation to the Candidate (cc: Dean & Provost, and unit Human Resources Facilitator <HRF>)
- Dean forwards copy of letter to unit’s Human Resources Facilitator (HRF), and files the Dean’s copy in the Candidate’s Promotion and Tenure file.
- Unit’s HRF attaches letter to a completed Courtesy Appointment Personnel Action Form (PAF), noting any emeritus-related ‘perks’ in the “Comments” field of the PAF. Emeritus designation effective date is the retirement date or Emeritus Approval letter date (whichever is latest). There should be no end date on the PAF; Courtesy Appointment remains active until death. Unit HRF forwards PAF and Letter to Provost Office (Attn: Beci Edmundson, 350 AC) for approval and processing. Effective Fall 2012, there will be only one Emeritus title code (0074 Emeritus) for all Emeritus rank designations; please enter the appropriate Emeritus rank designation in the “Working Title” field of the PAF.
UM System Emeritus Designation rules and exceptions are described in full in the Collected Rules and Regulations, CRR 320.090.
Click here to view a list of UMKC Emeritus Faculty (as of 06nov13)