Rent, electricity, gas, medicine or food – which could you live without? This is the question facing many students, faculty and staff right here on the UMKC campus. The Office of Student Involvement is proud to announce the formation of the UMKC Kangaroo Pantry.
The Kangaroo Pantry will open its doors Monday, March 30. This food pantry will be open to all current UMKC students, faculty and staff.
Here are some startling facts specific to UMKC:
- More than 92 percent of first time students are receiving some type of financial aid (Fall 2013)
- In Fall 2014, three students reported they were homeless
- 47 percent of survey respondents stated they are responsible for feeding two or more household members
- 46 percent of survey respondents stated they agreed or strongly agreed that they would use the Kangaroo Pantry
These individuals are our colleagues, students and friends.
Your donations of food, dollars or time will help the Kangaroo Pantry assist those who are in need at UMKC. We want to help our community by providing nourishing meals and a sense of belonging. Without donations like yours, however, the Kangaroo Pantry will not have enough funds to remain open. A financial contribution or a gift of your time will be a big help in supporting the UMKC community. Your financial gift could provide the following:
- $10 provides meals for a day for a family of four
- $35 provides individual meals for one week
- $60 feeds a family of four three meals a day for an entire week
You may submit a donation by visiting Kangaroo Pantry online.
Together we can transform lives and make a difference for our University of Missouri-Kansas City family. I hope you will join me in supporting this new initiative.