Bloch School benefactor Henry Bloch’s collection of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art is on display at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. The Bloch School of Management, the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art and St. Luke’s Hospital of Kansas City are legacy organizations of the Marion and Henry Bloch Family Foundation in recognition of their lifetime commitment to these organizations.
On March 11, The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art opened the Bloch Galleries in the museum’s original 1933 Beaux-Arts building, featuring the Marion and Henry Bloch Collection of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art. Comprised of 29 masterpieces acquired by the Bloch family over the course of two decades and promised to the museum in 2010, the Bloch Collection nearly doubles the museum’s current holdings of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art. In 2015, the Marion and Henry Bloch Family Foundation provided a $12-million gift to support renovation of the museum’s European art galleries to integrate the Bloch Collection into its existing collections to keep the work on permanent view.
This year also marks the 10th anniversary of the Bloch Building, a 165,000-square-foot expansion designed by Steven Holl. The expansion increased the museum’s permanent collection space by 71% and boosted average annual attendance by 42% to over half a million visitors each year, also encouraged by their 15 year free admission policy.