Graduate Degree Requirements
Program of Study for the M.A. in Studio Art
(36 hours minimum):
- Studio Art courses as determined in consultation of advisor (at least 21 hours).
- At least three courses in Art History on the 400-level or higher (9 hours).
- Art 5599: Research & Thesis (6 hours) done on a tutorial basis with Studio Art faculty.
- No more than 14 hours of coursework taken at 400-level.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of B- (2.7) or better in order to be counted towards M.A. degree.
- After 18 to 21 hours are completed, the student will select a thesis committee and submit a portfolio to this committee for the M.A. Qualifying Exam (Review).
- The M.A. Thesis consists of a solo exhibition in the UMKC Gallery of Art or a public location within the Kansas City metropolitan area with a body of work that should pursue a clearly identified artistic concept in consultation with the thesis committee and defended at a meeting with this committee.
Related resources: School of Graduate Studies
Graduate Admission Information
The graduate Studio Art program at UMKC offers a Master of Arts (M.A.) degree. The Studio Art faculty is comprised of accomplished and actively exhibiting artists. Graduate students apply in one of the following focus areas: drawing, painting, graphic design, printmaking, digital imaging, motion design, or photography. Teaching laboratories and studios are equipped with advanced technologies as well as traditional tools.
Applications for the M.A. degree in Studio Art are due by February 1 for Fall and October 15 for Spring admittance.
A Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.) degree is currently not available in Studio Art.
Please contact Ricky Allman, Graduate Advisor for Studio Art, to convey your interest in applying or for questions regarding the graduate Studio Art program.
How to Apply:
- To Office of Admissions
- Application ($35 online, $45 paper)
- To Department of Art & Art History, Attention: Graduate Advisor in Studio Art
- Portfolio of recent work on CD is with 15-20 images (jpeg/bmp/QT/AVI/Flash)
- Listing the images’ titles, dates, sizes and media (hard-copy)
- Personal statement, addressing: 1) Reason(s) for pursuing admittance into graduate-level study, 2) Reason(s) for choosing UMKC’s Department of Art & Art History as educational institution, 3) Focus of art work, 4)Ultimate professional ambitions, and 5) Why you should be selected for the M.A. program.
- Three letters of recommendation from art professionals or professors
Related resources: Graduate Scholarships and Financial Aid