Tenure / Tenure-Track Faculty Titles: There shall be only three titles of rank for regular appointments, designated as such:
- 7160 Professor
- 0930 Associate Professor
- 1700 Assistant Professor
The holder of a regular appointment either is tenured or, unless notified of nonreappointment or terminal appointment, is considered to be working toward tenure. The principal responsibilities are teaching, research, extension, academic service, or any combination thereof. (Policy Reference: CRR 310.020 Regulations Governing Application of Tenure)
Details: Ranked Tenured or Tenure-Track faculty positions are regular, full-time (75% – 100% FTE), benefit-eligible, 9-month or 12-month faculty academic contract appointments.
Minimum Qualifications: PhD. or terminal degree (highest degree available in area of study).
Approvals: The following documents must be approved by the Provost and Affirmative Action prior to posting. Combine the following documents into one PDF document and email to firstname.lastname@example.org, after all required Unit approvals (including Dean) are obtained …
- Request to Recruit Academic Position form
- Job Advertisement Copy All ad copy must include the following Affirmative Action disclaimer statement: “UMKC is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that is fully committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff.”
- Minority Recruitment Plan (Contact Mikah Thompson email@example.com in Affirmative Action for more information)
- Hiring Authorization Committee Form, with Committee’s Approval Notification as received from HR
Recruitment: National, Regional, local, and UMKC advertisement, focus on underrepresented populations. ALL Tenure/Tenure-track positions must be listed in UMKC PeopleSoft Academic E-Recruit; all applicants must apply through PS Academic E-Recruit. Competitive position (position must be advertised and candidates must compete within an Affirmative Action certified pool of applicants). Follow the UMKC Affirmative Action Faculty Recruitment Plan. Search Committee is required and must receive Affirmative Action training prior to advertising position (contact Affirmative Action Office to arrange training session). Request for Waivers of the normal AA Recruitment process: Dean should forward an email request to Mikah Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a copy to Beci Edmundson (email@example.com); candidates in immigration visa status are ineligible for AA Waivers.
Offer Letter: Submit draft offer letter (with all job advertisement tear sheets) to Provost Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for review and approval prior to distribution to candidate. Use the appropriate Template below …
- Offer Template Tenure-Track Faculty
- Offer Template Tenured Faculty (Tenure approval by appropriate faculty body and Provost required)
IT Resources for New Faculty: Be sure to direct all new faculty to the IT Faculty Getting Started Resources available here.
Contract End Date = 8/31 (Tenure-Track only, 9- or 12-month appointments; Tenured faculty appointments are continuous and have no contract end date)
Payment End Date = 5/31 (9/9 appointments) -or- 8/31 (9/12 or 12-month appointments)
Criminal Background Check: Required.
- Approved Hiring Authorization Form or Salary Increase Authorization Form
- Offer Letter (original, signed by both parties) AND/OR Appointment Notification Form (signed by supervisor and employee)
- Current CV
- Official Transcript of Highest Degree Earned *NOTE: Additional transcripts may be required by Chair to validate qualifications to teach specific course in order to meet HLC credentialing requirements
- Other Employment Documentation as required by Human Resources
Evaluation: Written evaluation by supervisor should be discussed with employee and signed by both parties annually.
Renewal: Subject to the terms and conditions of CRR 310.020 Section E. Regular Term Appointments and Reappointments Annual Appointment Renewal Letter Templates: RENEWAL Template Tenured Faculty or RENEWAL Template Tenure Track Faculty
Non-Renewal of Regular Term Appointment: Subject to the terms and conditions of CRR 310.020 Section F. Regular Term Appointments and Reappointments and CRR 310.060 Procedures in Case of Dismissal for Cause.