Policy Reference: CRR 310.035 Non-Tenure Track Faculty
Categories: There shall be five main types of full-time, Ranked Non-Tenure-Track (NTT) non-regular faculty. Each should have primary responsibility in a single area: teaching, or research, or clinical/professional practice, library, or extension activities (UMKC does not currently utilize extension titles). The titles should identify the area. Within each area, there shall be the following ranks:
1. Research faculty
- 7690 Research Professor
- 7677 Associate Research Professor
- 7676 Assistant Research Professor
2. Teaching faculty
- 7142 Teaching Professor
- 7146 Associate Teaching Professor
- 7144 Assistant Teaching Professor
3. Clinical faculty
- 2830 Clinical Professor
- 2790 Associate Clinical Professor
- 2800 Assistant Clinical Professor
4. Extension faculty
- Extension titles are not currently utilized on the UMKC Campus
5. Librarian faculty
- 5822 Librarian I
- 5823 Librarian II
- 5824 Librarian III
- 5825 Librarian IV
Details: The titles listed above are non-regular Ranked Non-Tenure Track faculty positions and should be hired as full-time (75% – 100% FTE), benefit-eligible, 9-month or 12-month faculty academic contract appointments.
Minimum Qualifications: PhD. or terminal degree (highest degree within the area of study).
Approvals: The following documents must be approved by the Provost and Affirmative Action prior to posting. Combine the following documents into one PDF document and email to email@example.com, after all required Unit approvals (including Dean) are obtained …
- Request to Recruit Academic Position form
- Job Advertisement Copy All ad copy must include the following Affirmative Action disclaimer statement: “UMKC is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that is fully committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff.”
- Minority Recruitment Plan (Contact Mikah Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org in Affirmative Action for more information)
- Hiring Freeze Justification Form, with Committee’s Approval Notification as received from HR
Recruitment: National, Regional, local, and UMKC advertisement, focus on underrepresented populations. ALL Ranked NTT positions must be listed in UMKC PeopleSoft Academic E-Recruit; all applicants must apply through PS Academic E-Recruit. Competitive position (position must be advertised and candidates must compete within an Affirmative Action certified pool of applicants). Follow the UMKC Affirmative Action Faculty Recruitment Plan. Search Committee is required and must receive Affirmative Action training prior to advertising position (contact Affirmative Action Office to arrange training session). Request for Waivers of the normal AA Recruitment process: Dean should forward an email request to Mikah Thompson (email@example.com) with a copy to Beci Edmundson (firstname.lastname@example.org); candidates in immigration visa status are ineligible for AA Waivers.
Offer Letter: Use the standard OFFER Ranked NTT Faculty Template. All ranked NTT offers must be submitted to the Faculty Affairs office (email@example.com) for review and approval prior to distribution to candidate.
- Contract End Date = 5/31 (9/9 or 9/12 appointments) -or- 8/31 (12-month appointments)
- Payment End Date = 5/31 (9/9 appointments) -or- 8/31 (9/12 or 12-month appointments)
Criminal Background Check: Required.
IT Resources for New Faculty: Be sure to direct all new faculty to the IT Faculty Getting Started Resources available here.
- Offer Letter (original, signed by both parties)
- Current CV
- Other Employment Documentation as required by Human Resources
Evaluation: Written evaluation by supervisor should be discussed with employee and signed by both parties annually.
Non-Renewal: In accordance with CRR 310.035 Non-Tenure Track Faculty; use the attached Notification of Non-Renewal template for Ranked NTT Faculty.