Policy Reference: CRR 310.035 Non-Tenure Track Faculty
Categories: There shall be five main types of full-time, Ranked Non-Tenure-Track (NTT) non-regular faculty. Each should have primary responsibility in a single area: teaching, or research, or clinical/professional practice, library, or extension activities (UMKC does not currently utilize extension titles). The titles should identify the area. Within each area, there shall be the following ranks:
1. Research faculty
- 7690 Research Professor
- 7677 Associate Research Professor
- 7676 Assistant Research Professor
2. Teaching faculty
- 7142 Teaching Professor
- 7146 Associate Teaching Professor
- 7144 Assistant Teaching Professor
3. Clinical faculty
- 2830 Clinical Professor
- 2790 Associate Clinical Professor
- 2800 Assistant Clinical Professor
4. Extension faculty
- Extension titles are not currently utilized on the UMKC Campus
5. Librarian faculty
- 5822 Librarian I
- 5823 Librarian II
- 5824 Librarian III
- 5825 Librarian IV
Details: The titles listed above are non-regular Ranked Non-Tenure Track faculty positions and should be hired as full-time (75% – 100% FTE), benefit-eligible, 9-month or 12-month faculty academic contract appointments.
Minimum Qualifications: PhD. or terminal degree (highest degree within the area of study).
Approvals: The following documents must be approved by the Provost and Affirmative Action prior to posting. Combine the following documents into one PDF document and email to email@example.com, after all required Unit approvals (including Dean) are obtained …
- Request to Recruit Academic Position form
- Job Advertisement Copy All ad copy must include the following Affirmative Action disclaimer statement: “UMKC is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that is fully committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff.”
- Minority Recruitment Plan (Contact Mikah Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org in Affirmative Action for more information)
- Hiring Freeze Justification Form, with Committee’s Approval Notification as received from HR
Recruitment Best Practices: Regional, local, and UMKC advertisement, focus on underrepresented populations preferred. Competitive position (position must be advertised and candidates must compete within a pool of applicants). ALL Ranked NTT positions must be listed in UMKC PeopleSoft Academic E-Recruit; all applicants must apply through PS Academic E-Recruit. Unit’s Affirmative Action Plan utilized, no search committee required. Waivers to the recruitment process: After seeking support from the Provost’s Office, Deans/department chairs may request a waiver from the Deputy Chancellor in the Division of Diversity, Access and Equity.
Offer Letter: Use the standard OFFER Ranked NTT Faculty Template. All ranked NTT offers must be submitted to the Faculty Affairs office (email@example.com) for review and approval prior to distribution to candidate.
- Contract End Date = 5/31 (9/9 or 9/12 appointments) -or- 8/31 (12-month appointments)
- Payment End Date = 5/31 (9/9 appointments) -or- 8/31 (9/12 or 12-month appointments)
Criminal Background Check: Required.
IT Resources for New Faculty: Be sure to direct all new faculty to the IT Faculty Getting Started Resources available here.
- Offer Letter (original, signed by both parties)
- Current CV
- Other Employment Documentation as required by Human Resources
Evaluation: Written evaluation by supervisor should be discussed with employee and signed by both parties annually.
Non-Renewal: In accordance with CRR 310.035 Non-Tenure Track Faculty; use the attached Notification of Non-Renewal template for Ranked NTT Faculty.