Policy Reference: CRR 310.035 Non-Tenure Track Faculty
Non-Tenure-Track Unranked Full-time Non-Regular Faculty Titles:
- Visiting Assistant/Associate/full Professor
The process outlined below applies to all other benefit-eligible (75+% FTE) Academic Titles, including but not limited to:
- Research Assistant
- Senior Research Assistant
- Research Associate
- Visiting Scholar
- for a complete listing of Teaching & Research Titles, visit: http://www.umsystem.edu/apps/hr/compensation/detail/compSearch.php
Details: The Unranked Non-tenure track faculty positions of “Instructor” or ”Lecturer” must be full-time (75% – 100% FTE) and may be appointed either semester-by-semester or by contract length of 9- or 12-months. Non-faculty Unranked NTT academic positions (any Unranked NTT title except Lecturer or Instructor) may be appointed full or part time, for any contract length, and are monthly-paid positions. Minimum 9-month appointment required for benefit-eligibility for all academic appointments.
Minimum Qualifications: Determined by academic unit. Usually requires BA + significant years of industry experience, MA + teaching/industry experience, or PhD/terminal degree.
Approvals: Send the following information together via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, after all Unit approvals (including Dean) are obtained …
- Request to Recruit Academic Position Form
- Job Advertisement Copy All ad copy must include the following Affirmative Action disclaimer statement: “UMKC is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that is fully committeed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff.”
- Minority Recruitment Plan (Contact Michael Bates email@example.com in Affirmative Action for more information)
- Please note that ALL academic positions must be listed in PS E-Recruit (except student titles).
Recruitment Best Practices: Local and UMKC advertisement, focus on underrepresented populations preferred. Unit’s Affirmative Action Plan utilized, no search committee required.
Appointment End Date = Last day of appropriate month
Criminal Background Check: Required
IT Resources for New Faculty: Be sure to direct all new faculty to the IT Faculty Getting Started Resources available here.
- Offer Letter (original, signed by both parties) AND/OR Appointment Notification Form (signed by supervisor and employee)
- Current CV
- Other Employment Documentation as required by Human Resources
Evaluation: Written evaluation by supervisor should be discussed with employee and signed by both parties annually.
Renewal Best Practices: Written notice of appointment renewal (offer letter or Appointment Notification Form) should be signed by both supervisor and employee, and should accompany reappointment PAF no less than 30 days prior to appointment end date. (Store in Department files if renewing appointment via ASIA).
Non-Renewal Best Practices: Written notice of non-renewal of appointment should be submitted to and signed by employee no later than 30 days prior to appointment end date.